Thread: Tailoring: Can the J. Crew Factory Thompson Suit be let out in the chest

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Tailoring: Can the J. Crew Factory Thompson Suit be let out in the chest

I have a 38R (40R is too large for my shoulders) Thompson suit. The fit is great, except in the chest. The slight tightness is causing my lapels to flair out a bit. Do you know if it's possible to let the suit out in the chest to allow the lapels to lay flat against my chest?

I ask here because my normal tailor is only open two days a week and hard to get to for a simple question.

Thanks!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    Unfortunately I don't have an answer, but I'm having the same problem with the chino suit they released a few weeks ago. I'm taking mine to a tailor this week, so I'll try and report back what I learn.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    ApplePie: what is your chest measurement?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    According to my self measurement, 103cm = 40.5in. I wrapped the measure around the top part of my chest, right under my arm pits.

Semi relevant: ~5'10" 165-170lbs.
    Last edited by applepie; February 10th, 2013 at 11:12 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by applepie View Post
    According to my self measurement, 103cm = 40.5in. I wrapped the measure around the top part of my chest, right under my arm pits.

Semi relevant: ~5'10" 165-170lbs.
    To elaborate, the 40R Jacket was too large in the shoulders for me. I talked to one of the sales people and they said J Crew tends to size down by 2, so a 40 would be a 38.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quoted
    31 Post(s)
    My chest measures a little over 41" and I wear a 42R in the Thompson. I debated getting a 44R (which is what I wear in the Ludlow). I thought your jacket should be 2" larger than your chest. I could be wrong on this tough.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quoted
    129 Post(s)
    I have the exact same issue with most of my suits, including my Thompson. 38 fits me perfectly in the shoulders although my chest is more like a 40. I've had my Thompson successfully let out by my tailor, as well as the BR tailored line suits.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks! Is it a professional procedure to do, or rather easy?

I have a tailor who has hemmed clothing for me, but that's basic work. They specialize in wedding dresses, so I'm wondering if they would be OK letting out a suit.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    I'm the guy who replied to your r/fmf post telling you about the Bar III extra slim suit. Hopefully that works out. I just got my 38 JCF 80/20 back from tailoring and with the waist taken in it the lapels don't buck as much. Could just be the way it sits on you although at 40.5" you may be shit out of luck with the 38. I have a 39" chest for reference. If you can return it I'd probably recommend doing so if alternatives work out to be cheaper/better/easier.