Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spring Clothing Questions!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

Spring Clothing Questions!

Hi all - So, I know that it's pretty early, but I live in the south and there have already been a few mid 60s days, so I'm starting to think about expanding my casual spring wardrobe. Basically I've been slowly trying to improve my wardrobe over the past eight-ish months, but I began with my fall/winter clothing. That said, I'm in my first year of grad school, so I have no need to dress way up every day, and I really like dressing well, but casually, especially because I already own a fantastic dress wardrobe (ludlow blazer + suit, several ratio shirts, good ties).

My biggest question is about the fit of inexpensive polo shirts - which ones do you all tend to find fit the best? I'm especially talking to really tall guys, or anyone with a big (8-10") drop from chest to waist. I would anticipate that the Mossimo ones are pretty good, but I'm looking for colors that they don't offer, as well. Especially interested if anyone has experience with the J Crew Factory ones, as they're priced really well. Sleeve slimness is extra important - I tried the Old Navy polos the other day and found that they fit almost skin tight to my chest, but there was a noticeable amount of extra room around the bicep - they were just not built proportionally. And, frankly, if there are options even slimmer than Mossimo that would be great. Unfortunately, I have to wear Mediums in Mossimo instead of Larges because of how thin my upper waist is, but this makes the sleeves a little short, and means that I can't wear their crew necks (the v neck allows the shirt to spread farther across my shoulders).

The second is really just pretty general: what sort of fun things do you like throwing into your Spring wardrobe to spice things up? I find it's pretty easy with winter, because you can always mess around with layers, but I'm at a bit of a loss with what to do when its 95 out and I'm wearing shorts and a shirt. Thoughts?

And lastly, just thank you all for being so awesome over the last few months - you can't imagine how much you've helped me figure things out.
    Last edited by hon140; January 17th, 2013 at 08:43 AM.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Quoted
    57 Post(s)
    I know how you feel, being in the south, I currently live in Alabama. As for fun things that I throw in:

Colored chinos (j crew)
    Colored socks when I'm wearing more muted color chinos
    A very light cotton blazer
    A bracelet
    Different color watch bands for my timex weekender
    Bright colored pocket squares

I guess that you could say for me that in the spring it's all about color.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    OK I'm sorry for reviving a very dead thread but I really need to know:

How long are the J Crew Polos/Shirts in medium?

Literally any comparison, would be great. I'm just about to order some on final sale...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    I'm not tall, but I do have a > 8" drop. I have never seen a polo that fits well.

If you want a collar, I recommend just getting a very light weight cotton or linen shirt and pushing up the sleeves. Otherwise, a shallow v neck t shirt is a better choice.

Spring is the best time for a man to try to wear pink or purple without anyone questioning your masculinity.

If you don't already have several, I recommend unlined linen sportcoats. Uniqlo has some that I like, but you can usually find better quality on yoox or bluefly.

If the temperature is in the 65-80 range, try going sockless with something with a moc toe.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hon140 View Post
    OK I'm sorry for reviving a very dead thread but I really need to know:

How long are the J Crew Polos/Shirts in medium?

Literally any comparison, would be great. I'm just about to order some on final sale...
    I've never tired J. Crew polos. I have heard from friends that they are a good choice if you're looking for a solid/basic polo.

A couple alternaitves:

- H&M Polos are of cheaper quality but they are also ridiculously inexpensive. "Cotton stretch" fits better than the regular sizes.

- Express has great fitting slim fit polos but they often have larger logos.

- Vastrm polos are custom fitted/custom designed. You can design your own unique polo with a contrasting placket/collar of your choosing.

Banned
    Mentioned
    152 Post(s)
    Quoted
    665 Post(s)
    hon140, I wear medium JC polos. I'm not really tall, but I'm tall, at 6.1; I'm 185 pounds, fit from working out a few times a week but not overly muscular. It fits well overall with the length hitting just where "they" say an untucked shirt should fit, neither too long nor too short.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Quoted
    57 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kbrown View Post

If the temperature is in the 65-80 range, try going sockless with something with a moc toe.
    65-80. Try 80+. Or at least that is true in Alabama. But that still good advice for 80+ weather.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    36 Post(s)
    i have an 8" drop - and frankly, i've really had the best luck with the Target polos.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Quoted
    90 Post(s)
    I like my j crew factory polos. I'm not super tall (5'10"), so take this with the appropriate caveats, but the length of a medium is fine for me and I think I have a couple of inches to spare. A couple of inches shorter wouldn't be ideal, but it wouldn't bare my midriff either. Maybe try a medium and a large and see how each goes?

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quoted
    151 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shomas View Post
    I like my j crew factory polos. I'm not super tall (5'10"), so take this with the appropriate caveats, but the length of a medium is fine for me and I think I have a couple of inches to spare. A couple of inches shorter wouldn't be ideal, but it wouldn't bare my midriff either. Maybe try a medium and a large and see how each goes?
    I've been thinking of getting some of their polos this spring. Do you have pique or slub/jersey ones?