Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spring Clothing Questions!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Spring Clothing Questions!

Hi all - So, I know that it's pretty early, but I live in the south and there have already been a few mid 60s days, so I'm starting to think about expanding my casual spring wardrobe. Basically I've been slowly trying to improve my wardrobe over the past eight-ish months, but I began with my fall/winter clothing. That said, I'm in my first year of grad school, so I have no need to dress way up every day, and I really like dressing well, but casually, especially because I already own a fantastic dress wardrobe (ludlow blazer + suit, several ratio shirts, good ties).

My biggest question is about the fit of inexpensive polo shirts - which ones do you all tend to find fit the best? I'm especially talking to really tall guys, or anyone with a big (8-10") drop from chest to waist. I would anticipate that the Mossimo ones are pretty good, but I'm looking for colors that they don't offer, as well. Especially interested if anyone has experience with the J Crew Factory ones, as they're priced really well. Sleeve slimness is extra important - I tried the Old Navy polos the other day and found that they fit almost skin tight to my chest, but there was a noticeable amount of extra room around the bicep - they were just not built proportionally. And, frankly, if there are options even slimmer than Mossimo that would be great. Unfortunately, I have to wear Mediums in Mossimo instead of Larges because of how thin my upper waist is, but this makes the sleeves a little short, and means that I can't wear their crew necks (the v neck allows the shirt to spread farther across my shoulders).

The second is really just pretty general: what sort of fun things do you like throwing into your Spring wardrobe to spice things up? I find it's pretty easy with winter, because you can always mess around with layers, but I'm at a bit of a loss with what to do when its 95 out and I'm wearing shorts and a shirt. Thoughts?

And lastly, just thank you all for being so awesome over the last few months - you can't imagine how much you've helped me figure things out.
    Last edited by hon140; January 17th, 2013 at 08:43 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    19 Post(s)
    I know how you feel, being in the south, I currently live in Alabama. As for fun things that I throw in:

Colored chinos (j crew)
    Colored socks when I'm wearing more muted color chinos
    A very light cotton blazer
    A bracelet
    Different color watch bands for my timex weekender
    Bright colored pocket squares

I guess that you could say for me that in the spring it's all about color.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    OK I'm sorry for reviving a very dead thread but I really need to know:

How long are the J Crew Polos/Shirts in medium?

Literally any comparison, would be great. I'm just about to order some on final sale...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I'm not tall, but I do have a > 8" drop. I have never seen a polo that fits well.

If you want a collar, I recommend just getting a very light weight cotton or linen shirt and pushing up the sleeves. Otherwise, a shallow v neck t shirt is a better choice.

Spring is the best time for a man to try to wear pink or purple without anyone questioning your masculinity.

If you don't already have several, I recommend unlined linen sportcoats. Uniqlo has some that I like, but you can usually find better quality on yoox or bluefly.

If the temperature is in the 65-80 range, try going sockless with something with a moc toe.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hon140 View Post
    OK I'm sorry for reviving a very dead thread but I really need to know:

How long are the J Crew Polos/Shirts in medium?

Literally any comparison, would be great. I'm just about to order some on final sale...
    I've never tired J. Crew polos. I have heard from friends that they are a good choice if you're looking for a solid/basic polo.

A couple alternaitves:

- H&M Polos are of cheaper quality but they are also ridiculously inexpensive. "Cotton stretch" fits better than the regular sizes.

- Express has great fitting slim fit polos but they often have larger logos.

- Vastrm polos are custom fitted/custom designed. You can design your own unique polo with a contrasting placket/collar of your choosing.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Quoted
    199 Post(s)
    hon140, I wear medium JC polos. I'm not really tall, but I'm tall, at 6.1; I'm 185 pounds, fit from working out a few times a week but not overly muscular. It fits well overall with the length hitting just where "they" say an untucked shirt should fit, neither too long nor too short.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    19 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kbrown View Post

If the temperature is in the 65-80 range, try going sockless with something with a moc toe.
    65-80. Try 80+. Or at least that is true in Alabama. But that still good advice for 80+ weather.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    i have an 8" drop - and frankly, i've really had the best luck with the Target polos.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    27 Post(s)
    I like my j crew factory polos. I'm not super tall (5'10"), so take this with the appropriate caveats, but the length of a medium is fine for me and I think I have a couple of inches to spare. A couple of inches shorter wouldn't be ideal, but it wouldn't bare my midriff either. Maybe try a medium and a large and see how each goes?

Dappered Veteran
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quoted
    54 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shomas View Post
    I like my j crew factory polos. I'm not super tall (5'10"), so take this with the appropriate caveats, but the length of a medium is fine for me and I think I have a couple of inches to spare. A couple of inches shorter wouldn't be ideal, but it wouldn't bare my midriff either. Maybe try a medium and a large and see how each goes?
    I've been thinking of getting some of their polos this spring. Do you have pique or slub/jersey ones?