Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: JCrew Colburn Tweed Blazer-Ludlow fit

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

JCrew Colburn Tweed Blazer-Ludlow fit

So I keep on eyeing a Grey Tweed blazer on Ebay, but cannot tell whether to pull the trigger or not. Its the Colburn Tweed Blazer in the Ludlow fit. Its used--seller says about 5 times total--and appears to be just the right color and texture that I am looking for. However, I am not sure about its lapel width, which I believe is 2.5 inches. I fear that this may be a bit to narrow/trendy. Most of my blazers/suit jackets are 3-3.5 inches, with I think one at 2.75 (away from home so only have the two I brought with me to check).

Additionally, seller is asking for $169.99 for the buy it now, think this is a good price? What do you think is reasonable?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Is this the one you are talking about?

There was a lighter gray version that they released last year which is no longer listed online. I contacted J Crew in December during their 30% off sale and luckily they found one in my size. The total was close to 170$ after taxes so I am not sure if it is worth paying the same for a used sportcoat. The lapels look just fine to me, but that's because I am used to wearing skinnier lapels.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    It is the lighter color one that you have in the picture. Currently, its at $100, so i am hoping no one else finds it and I can snag it for around that price. Definitely dont think ill be grabbing it at $170 after hearing about your luck though. Thanks for the input

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    10 Post(s)
    I bought that same heathered gray colburn tweed from J Crew as part of their final sale in Spring of last year. I paid about $100 for it after discount and I'm very pleased with it. I haven't really worn it with a tie, so I can't say that the lapel width bothered me.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    21 Post(s)
    J.Crew is having a 30% off all sale items promotion right now. You might be able to snag the same jacket if you check the site every morning until the promotion ends. Note: early morning (6 AM EST). Some weeks ago, it came to ~$170 before taxes I believe.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    @redbeardedmike, glad to hear that you like it. I am currently the only bidder on it at $99, so maybe I will luck out.

@Zxu426, sadly, it is not a sale item right now. This particularly jacket (the heathered gray as opposed to the darker charcoal) is not even on the site any more. And sadly the dark charcoal is not available in my size. Ill keep my eyes peeled for it though

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    21 Post(s)
    Saw the grey in 36/s this morning. No dark charcoal though.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    33 Post(s)
    I bought last years model during a sale at some point. I had a lot of issues with the center vent on it, and ended up doing an exchange only to find that the replacement had the same issue. When I cut the thread holding the vent together in the back, the vent jutted out in the rear creating a "bell shaped" profile. This was especially concerning due to the fact that I have no rear end. Back with a crack. I inquired with J.Crew and eventually agreed to take it to a tailor for evaluation. His solution was to sew up the rear vent. J.Crew paid.

Overall, it's a thick fitting jacket. The awkward appearance of the J.Crew model above is pretty accurate. Not sure what it is about the cut that makes it sit the way it does, but I'm sure a tailor could answer that. The shoulders have always felt/looked a little too square as well. The Hoxton Herringbone from this year fits pretty well comparably.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    33 Post(s)
    Looking at that pic of the model again, doesn't it look strange with the hips jutting out the way they do as well? I've never been fully comfortable wearing it... which disregards the first rule of style in feeling comfortable with what you're wearing.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    @Frost, ill post some pics when/if I win the coat. Hoping Ill have some better luck than you did with regards to fit.