Thread: Clothing for the Tall

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Clothing for the Tall

I'm 6'6", anywhere between 200 and 230 lbs depending on my diet/weight training. I need a 44XL jacket and 34x36 in pants. Is my only option custom suits like from indochino? I'll never be able to buy a matching set in the right size, and I'm not seeing a lot of options in either size for off the rack. Does anyone have any recommendations for anything- suits, blazers, pants, etc in taller sizes that still have some hint of style to them? I find I can wear 17-17.5x36-37 button ups, but everything else is a compromise I just don't want to make anymore. Keep in mind I'm an E-4 in the military so less is better, but I'm ok with spending the right amount on something that should last.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    15 Post(s)
    I'm in the same boat, 6'4" tall, 195lbs, 15'1/2x35 shirt, and a 34x34 or 35x34 pant depending on the fit. Guess I have a few more options but I'm finding a lot of my dress shirts run short length wise, plus want to find good slim fitting polos and sweaters that will keep length.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I know Gap/BR have Tall sizes on most of their stuff. While most people won't recommend Jos. A. Bank, I did get an XLong jacket from them. J Crew also has a Tall section. Check out the size charts to see if you find something that could work. Heck, you could even look at LL Bean and Lands End. I know I have a Tall sport shirt from LL Bean that would certainly be long enough for you.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    15 Post(s)
    LL Bean is one of my go-to places for tall sizes, especially on the dress shirts. Just wish their sale prices were a bit more tempting at the moment.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    15 Post(s)
    Just a note on the LL Bean. I have a 39-40 chest depending on the brand and the regular fit is a little roomy, and no taper. Gonna try slim fits when they're on sale.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I am 6'3" and have long arms, in fact it looks like Jacob and I are the same shirt size. I have had great luck with Gap (oxford shirts and pants) and Banana Republic for blazers. Would you say you are longer in the torso, legs or pretty well proportioned? The reason I ask is that I am pretty balanced and find the BR blazers a pretty decent fit, I even have to have the arms brought up a bit, which for me is rare in non higher end blazers. Also, for shirts I've had great look with Charles Tyrwhitt. The torso length of their shirts is pretty decent and they have arm length sizes for guys like us. I hope that helps.

Some say that blazers/suit jackets should be able to cover your rear, when trying on jackes in "Long" sizes does this happen? I wear mine like that unless it is a more casual jacket, then I go 1 to 1.5 inches above my posterior depending on the look I am going for and the type of jacket. I used to think I needed "XL" but turned out I was wearing my coats too long.

I hope this helps.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by John Hamnett View Post
    Just a note on the LL Bean. I have a 39-40 chest depending on the brand and the regular fit is a little roomy, and no taper. Gonna try slim fits when they're on sale.
    6'5 and ~190-210, depending on current fitness levels. I was pretty disappointed with their slims. Brooks brothers slim fit (or even the extra slims) are a pretty good deal when you can find them on sale. I usually wear at least a 37" sleeve, although I'm beginning to think that I really need a 38". I'm thinking it's MTM.

For casual flannel type button ups, I just roll up the sleeves as long as I can still tuck.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    15 Post(s)
    Just got some BR sweaters in, size Med-Tall. Great fit on these, excellent material, and they were on sale plus 30% off (think that ends today). Very happy with those.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jputman08 View Post
    I know Gap/BR have Tall sizes on most of their stuff. While most people won't recommend Jos. A. Bank, I did get an XLong jacket from them. J Crew also has a Tall section. Check out the size charts to see if you find something that could work. Heck, you could even look at LL Bean and Lands End. I know I have a Tall sport shirt from LL Bean that would certainly be long enough for you.
    Size charts are worthless at almost any mall brand or big chain store. To get an accurate measurement for any garment, I highly reccomed calling the respective customer service number for that store. Size charts are a generic standard for a brand...they do not take in to account the different manufacturing facilities that make an individual item in regrads to their quality or their loose interpretation of a brands' sizing standard.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by John Hamnett View Post
    Just got some BR sweaters in, size Med-Tall. Great fit on these, excellent material, and they were on sale plus 30% off (think that ends today). Very happy with those.
    While I cannot vouch for the quality, I do agree that Banana Republic Medium tall sweaters are probably the best fitting option for any tall, slim man outside of high end labels. They aren't perfect, but they're decent enough in the waist and long in the body/arms. If they ever re-release the slim fit merino sweaters (that they also had in a medium tall size), I highly reccomend grabbing a bunch. These are a true slim fitting (in the waist and arms) sweater.