Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Why do you choose the fits you choose?

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

Why do you choose the fits you choose?

My father continuously tells me or tries to have me try on clothes that I think are oversized or dated in appearance. People's backgrounds, tastes, and needs vary. What are your reasons for choosing the fits you choose?

Why slim? Why relaxed? Traditional? Skinny? Bootcuts? Fitted shirts? Straight-fit jeans?

Do you know why you choose the fits you choose? Is it from when or where you were raised? Is it because you find it flattering or comfortable? Do you think there's a right way?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I'm a rather short and skinny fellow, so for me it's a matter of what I think looks flattering on my body personally. I've got some things that are marked as slim, other things that are marked as skinny, and sometimes jeans that are slim straight. But I definitely stay away from the stuff that's oversized for me. Things marked as relaxed, bootcut or traditional I don't purchase.

There's no right way at all. I think people should wear what they're comfortable wearing, both in the literal physical sense, as well as mentally. It always boggles my mind when people say things to me like, "why are you wearing dress shoes?" during a casual get together as if there's something inherently "wrong" with it which requires some kind of explanation.

However I will say that the only time I think something can be thought of as incorrect in any sense is if there is a specific dress code made clear up front. If you're being asked to wear a suit, then don't come in with sneakers.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    I swear everytime I feel like I'm wearing something that's right for me the styles change and I have to update again. I hope it doesn't though. It's nice to see so many more brands going for the "slim" or "tailored" look; appealing to more athletically fit guys who don't want it big and bulky but also not skin tight. At the end of the day my mindset is James Bond.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sanjaygolf View Post
    I swear everytime I feel like I'm wearing something that's right for me the styles change and I have to update again. I hope it doesn't though. It's nice to see so many more brands going for the "slim" or "tailored" look; appealing to more athletically fit guys who don't want it big and bulky but also not skin tight. At the end of the day my mindset is James Bond.
    I personally prefer tailored and slim looks. I'm 6'2" and slim. I don't like the look of being lost under billows of fabric and textures that make me look like I'm hiding behind the drapes. I think people like seeing a good human form, and clothes that hint at it being there are part of an attractive look. Bond is characteristically a healthy, well-shaped guy and his clothes tend to capitalize on that these days. I totally agree that it's a look to appreciate.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Good question. I like the look of slim fit shirts, but I can't get used to slim fit pants. I know a lot of guys on here wear pants that are far slimmer than I would feel comfortable in. Even Joe on the main site posts pictures of himself in pants that make me uncomfortable just looking at them. I've tried a couple times to buy slimmer fitting pants, and I just can't wear them. I don't feel "right".

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sanjaygolf View Post
    I know what you mean, and I've learned in the past year what flatters me the most. I like the fitted look--wearing clothes that don't sacrifice comfort for the sake of fit--but there are certain pieces that I think look better with a more relaxed cut, such as the Barbour Beaufort. I think there's definitely a time and place for the tailored look, but I feel that we should be more forgiving about fit in general.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeAD91 View Post
    Good question. I like the look of slim fit shirts, but I can't get used to slim fit pants. I know a lot of guys on here wear pants that are far slimmer than I would feel comfortable in. Even Joe on the main site posts pictures of himself in pants that make me uncomfortable just looking at them. I've tried a couple times to buy slimmer fitting pants, and I just can't wear them. I don't feel "right".
    I generally agree with this. As a former college athlete slim/tailored fit shirts can fit very well (depending on the brand), but most of my pants are relaxed fit, with a few being straight fit. It doesn't quite capture the GQ-metro look that seems really popular on certain other style sites, but it is what it is.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Crims View Post
    I generally agree with this. As a former college athlete slim/tailored fit shirts can fit very well (depending on the brand), but most of my pants are relaxed fit, with a few being straight fit. It doesn't quite capture the GQ-metro look that seems really popular on certain other style sites, but it is what it is.
    I'm currently struggling with this myself as seen with my posts on the "how does this fit" thread. I've got a 10 inch drop from chest to waist and broad shoulders and it feels weird to wear "slim" pants due to the difference between my upper body and lower body. Still trying to work out ideal lower fir for my body type.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    44 Post(s)
    If you're (formerly) athletic, it's tough to pull off too much of the GQ look. A majority of the guys they use aren't that large at all (save a few celeb guys, who are actually pretty big frames in addition to being cut). I've always gone straight leg jeans and chinos (but definitely not skinny... just won't work with my waist-to-thigh ratio), but am just now moving into that realm for dress pants. So far so good, but it's taking some getting used to.

That being said, I agree with zxu -- there are just some things that are traditionally made in a fuller cut and it's perfectly acceptable to wear them that way. Not every single thing in my wardrobe needs to be closely form-fitting. I aim to hit a middle ground between the full cuts (currently out of fashion) and the very tailored cuts (currently fashionable) with an aim for something that's comfortable, but would still look good whether I'm in 2013, 2003 or 1993. I see some older men wearing the same suits and ties that they've had for decades and they still look great (I recall one guy who had a slimmer Brooks Bros repp tie... same pattern as mine but he bought his in the early 90s). That's what I want for my stuff.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    In my mind, jeans are not supposed to fit like second skin. They were created for work and should be comfortable. I buy straight leg fit as boot cut jeans seem to be dated. Also, straight leg will probably not go out of style. Read: timeless. For trousers, I go with the straight leg again. I've been gravitating to Gap's tailored fit pants. I like my trousers to be a little more streamlined but not super tapered. I think this makes for a more polished look. Shirts in tailored slim or other slim fits are ideal for me. Regular fit shirts give me the muffin top and that is not very flattering.

What it comes down to when choosing fit, I usually pay attention to the intention of the garment and pick the fit that is most flattering and comfortable. For me, the worst is being uncomfortable because I feel constricted in my clothing or I am wearing ill fitting clothing.