Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Beckett Simonon. Anyone?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    My tracking number is now active. Should be here Tuesday!

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Quoted
    69 Post(s)
    I am really looknig forward to your review @mint condition. I was a little apprehensive on these.
    "The key to Success is the Quality of Execution"
    I>0<I

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    8 Post(s)
    My pair arrived days ago and I'm returning them.

I think they are a pretty good deal for $80, but you can find better value on yoox or elsewhere with a little patience. If you really need a shoe of a particular variety right now, they are fine for the price. Well, the right now part doesn't work since they don't ship immediately.

I purchased the hughes longwing. The leather is glossy and lacks texture. Up close, the aging and striations look painted on, and by up close I mean anything inside five feet. It's almost as if the shoe is a picture of a better shoe. The rubber sole is better than expected and looks and feels enough like a leather sole. Perhaps the non glossy shoes on offer such as the suede would be much better.

Dappered Veteran
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Quoted
    100 Post(s)
    Honestly that picture makes the shoe look hideous IMO. Glad I didn't jump on this. Very curious to see everybody else's results. I think the suedes may fare better.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    I received my burnished brown Hughes Longwings today. They are a bit stiff in the footbed. We will see how they break in. The burnishing appears almost screen printed or painted, but in my opinion, they look good until you get real close.

I believe they will fetch compliments from normal distance.

Here is a picture side by side with a pair of AE Parks. The profile is a little bulkier, but they still have a nice, rounded toe and a good overall profile.

I certainly would not say they are better than my AE's, but they are well worth $79. I have a few pairs of AE's that I rotate, and I also frequently wear a pair of Nunn Bush burgundy plain toe saddle oxfords (I believe McAllisters). I believe I paid right around $80 for the Nunn Bush's, and I would say these Beckett Simonon's blow them out of the water. They are comparable to a $150 pair of shoes in my opinion; right around the top end of non-Goodyear welted shoes.

Edit: By the way, they fit true to size. I wear a 12D in Allen Edmonds and the 12 fits about the same.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Got my Oxblood Longwings today. First thing you'll notice is the ridiculous packaging:

There were some nice touches once you got past that. The box contained a thank you note from the founders and a nylon carrying bag. As for the shoes, they seemed stiff; hoping that the leather won't crinkle with wear. The pseudo distressed/burnishing of leather wasn't as pronounced as the brown version. They eyelets were burnished as well. Laces are thin and will be replaced. The rubber felt stiff and rigid. I'l be able to comment on the wear pretty soon.

I think I'm going to keep these. I do like the color. In terms of quality, they had a Florsheim feel to them. Will post some thoughts after a few weeks of wear.
    [Edit] They do feel true to size, although for the sake of future sales, I hope they add 1/2 sizes soon.
    Last edited by RiveDroit; January 29th, 2013 at 09:05 PM. Reason: extra info

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    I do like the look of the oxblood. I already have two pairs of burgundy shoes and badly needed some brown in my collection. I would really like to hear from someone that picked up a pair of the regular wingtips.

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Quoted
    130 Post(s)
    I apologize for my negativity, but I find these shoes to be unattractive. The argument could be made that they're good for only $80, but I'd rather have $80 in my pocket than a pair of shoes that look cheap.

Dappered Veteran
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Quoted
    100 Post(s)
    Yeah, the in-person photos don't look any better. Sorry, I'd pass, and if I wanted to spend $80 on new shoes I'd look at Florsheim, J&M or Cole Haan on sales.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Quite a mixed bag of comments at work today:

Did you pay for those?
    Those are the best shoes I have seen you wear.
    They look like bowling shoes.
    Those are "pimp"

Most say they like them, but plenty do not. Usually when I get such a love/hate reaction, I never wear that particular item again. I will probably use these as rainy day shoes.

By the way, I asked several of my closer coworkers how much they thought I paid and the answers ranged from $30 - $200. I would say the keen eyes recognize these as cheap from a normal view.