Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast
Results 81 to 90 of 93

Thread: J.Crew Bayswater vs. Schott Slim Fit Peacoat

  1. #81
    Dappered Veteran
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Calgary, AB, Canada
    Posts
    1,136
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    36 Post(s)
    Thank god I saw this thread, was almost going to get the Billy Reid James Bond peacoat...that Schott is almost identical.

    And just to throw my 2c in...that Schott hands down is better than the Jcrew coat; colour & style.

  2. #82
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    30
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by shad0w4life View Post
    Thank god I saw this thread, was almost going to get the Billy Reid James Bond peacoat...that Schott is almost identical.

    And just to throw my 2c in...that Schott hands down is better than the Jcrew coat; colour & style.
    I actually pulled a complete 180 and returned my J.Crew Bayswater and repurchasing the Schott Slim Fit Peacoat (DU704i)....Wore it for the first time today and I have to say, I quite like it. I need to resew the top pockets to make them a little more comfortable to get my hands in...That being said, the oxford grey color is to die for and, although I didn't think the buttons mattered, the quality they exude is intoxicating.

    So, I feel some validation that you said that the Schott was better since most people preferred the Bayswater.

  3. #83
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I'm deciding between a S and a XS bayswater. I got the measurements from j crew:
    S: chest 43, shoulder 17.75, sleeve 25.75, waist 39.5
    XS: chest 40, shoulder 16.75, sleeve 25.5, waist 36.5
    When I was measured for a suit, my chest is 36, front shoulder 17.5, back shoulder 19, jacket sleeve 25.25, waist 31. If I get S I think the shoulders will fit but will be too roomy in the chest and boxy around the waist. If I get the XS, body will fit better but I think it would be tight around the shoulders. What do you guys think?

  4. #84
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    12
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kentyman View Post
    I was lucky enough to convince my local J.Crew to accept my old Small from February and have them send me an XS that is on its way. It took a little convincing after he noticed it was last year's model (by checking the tags), but he still semi-reluctantly went ahead with it. I feel pretty fortunate. I'll report back with its fit compared to my old S.
    Quote Originally Posted by Phosej View Post
    I'm deciding between a S and a XS bayswater. I got the measurements from j crew:
    S: chest 43, shoulder 17.75, sleeve 25.75, waist 39.5
    XS: chest 40, shoulder 16.75, sleeve 25.5, waist 36.5
    When I was measured for a suit, my chest is 36, front shoulder 17.5, back shoulder 19, jacket sleeve 25.25, waist 31. If I get S I think the shoulders will fit but will be too roomy in the chest and boxy around the waist. If I get the XS, body will fit better but I think it would be tight around the shoulders. What do you guys think?
    I just got my XS today and it fits flawlessly. I couldn't be happier. As a reminder, I'm 5' 9", 145 lbs. This is literally the only thing I own in an XS. In my opinion, they are off by an entire size.

    Phosej, if you have a similar body to me, I suggest you try the XS first. My S was long in the sleeves and too roomy in the torso, but the shoulders felt fine. The XS shoulders are not too tight for me. I say order XS and if it doesn't fit you right you can exchange in the store. You likely can't go the other way around, as my store didn't carry XS.

  5. #85
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    49
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    slightly off topic: is the extra $20 or so worth it for the thinsulate version of the jcrew bayswater?

  6. #86
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kentyman View Post
    I just got my XS today and it fits flawlessly. I couldn't be happier. As a reminder, I'm 5' 9", 145 lbs. This is literally the only thing I own in an XS. In my opinion, they are off by an entire size.

    Phosej, if you have a similar body to me, I suggest you try the XS first. My S was long in the sleeves and too roomy in the torso, but the shoulders felt fine. The XS shoulders are not too tight for me. I say order XS and if it doesn't fit you right you can exchange in the store. You likely can't go the other way around, as my store didn't carry XS.
    Thanks for the reply, unfortunately I do not have the luxury of exchanges in store as I have to order online and pay return shipping. I think we do have similar bodies, I am 5'10 145. What's your shoulder measurement and waist size? Do you feel like there is a nice slim taper around the torso/waist? Can you layer a collared shirt/sweater comfortably? Are the armholes nice and high?
    Last edited by Phosej; November 14th, 2012 at 10:21 PM. Reason: Added some stuff

  7. #87
    Dappered Veteran
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Calgary, AB, Canada
    Posts
    1,136
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    36 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Phosej View Post
    I'm deciding between a S and a XS bayswater. I got the measurements from j crew:
    S: chest 43, shoulder 17.75, sleeve 25.75, waist 39.5
    XS: chest 40, shoulder 16.75, sleeve 25.5, waist 36.5
    When I was measured for a suit, my chest is 36, front shoulder 17.5, back shoulder 19, jacket sleeve 25.25, waist 31. If I get S I think the shoulders will fit but will be too roomy in the chest and boxy around the waist. If I get the XS, body will fit better but I think it would be tight around the shoulders. What do you guys think?
    19" shoulder you won't be fitting in either coat. I'm 18.25" but 41" chest so I fit in most things somewhat, you my friend are SOL and will probably need a lot of tailoring.

  8. #88
    Varsity Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    109
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    I have been reading alot of this "sizing down" for the Bayswater. Any suggestions.... 6'2 200lbs and I wear a 42R in a suit jacket. Also, I am torn with the color options, Navy, Charcoal or Black. I also see that the Navy (last years model) is quite less in price on the Factory website. Is there much of a difference? I wear more jeans/casual to work and have a nice dress jacket for the better occasions. Their is no discount for the Navy Bayswater so do I hold off until a sale kicks in assuming that is the color I go with. Any help would be great, thanks!!

  9. #89
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    30
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by charliebrown2 View Post
    slightly off topic: is the extra $20 or so worth it for the thinsulate version of the jcrew bayswater?
    Yes. Yes. Yes.

  10. #90
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    30
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommy View Post
    I have been reading alot of this "sizing down" for the Bayswater. Any suggestions.... 6'2 200lbs and I wear a 42R in a suit jacket. Also, I am torn with the color options, Navy, Charcoal or Black. I also see that the Navy (last years model) is quite less in price on the Factory website. Is there much of a difference? I wear more jeans/casual to work and have a nice dress jacket for the better occasions. Their is no discount for the Navy Bayswater so do I hold off until a sale kicks in assuming that is the color I go with. Any help would be great, thanks!!
    I am 6'0, 175lbs and I like a medium, so I would probably go with a large if I were you. That might be a little too tight though. XL would also work, but you might not get that taper everyone loves. The regular J.Crew version is supposedly different than the Factory version. Can't tell you exactly what.

    Navy, Black & Charcoal all pretty much look the same. I couldn't even tell in store which was which. I prefer the Navy to the very dark charcoal. Wait for a sale, though, definitely.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •