Thread: Can you iron a cotton tie?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

? Also, grey cotton tie with black gingham shirt a good luck? I was told earlier in most situations the tie should be darker than the shirt.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Not sure if you can iron it directly, but I usually just iron my cotton ties with a white T-shirt over them

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Black gingham with a grey cotton tie might be pushing it, depending on how dark the tie is. I have a medium-dark grey wool tie, and wearing it with a medium blue gingham shirt (and sometimes a blue plaid shirt) is one of my favorite fall/winter combos.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Why do you think that combo would be pushing it? The tie is light grey cotton. What ties would you guys suggest for the black Calibrate gingham posted recently?

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    24 Post(s)

I think with a shirt that's half black, it kind of forces you to keep everything else darker, if you want to follow the convention of "tie and jacket should be darker than the shirt". I think too many things clash with black as well, so you end up going almost monochrome - which can actually be a good look if everything fits well. So you can go with a black knit tie (I'm big on with gingham), but I think even a navy knit would pair well. Grey can work if it's darker, but I think light grey would look off. I think black gingham is a good option to go tieless.