Quoted
    160 Post(s)
    The tray is 50% off with the sale code.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quoted
    256 Post(s)
    I have a pair of Hanover shortwings in that color. The leather looks exactly like that and mine are not shell.

Quote Originally Posted by wsupjs View Post
    x2. From what I can see in that picture, they aren't shell. The creases are much finer than shell rolls, especially on the sides.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    19 Post(s)
    Just got my new pair of brown AE Bleecker Street in the mail. Let me tell you they are freakin' FAN-TAS-TIC! Even though they are factory seconds, these are essentially flawless to the untrained eye. The ONLY flaw I could see upon close inspection is a VERY VERY minor discoloration at the top of the boot where your ankle would be. However, that is covered by all pants and its so minor you can't even tell unless you're looking at these from up close, looking for imperfections. I had been looking around for boots for months now and after returning some shell cordovan AE Daltons as well as those Johnston and Murphy Tyndall cap-toe boots, I am glad that I finally found the perfect boots for me. As has been raved about on this site many times, these can be worn with anything from nice denim to a suit for all but the most formal of occasions. If you, like me, have been stuck on the fence about buying these, DO IT! You will not regret it. Also, they are currently on clearance for both firsts and factory seconds, so now would be the best time to jump on them.

As a side note, since I noticed that the site recommends these and the J&M Tyndalls as a cheaper option, and having had both the Bleecker Streets and the J&M Tyndall boots ("less fortunate man's Bleecker's") in my hands at the same time, I can say I can fairly review the differences in both. Obviously, the leather quality is nicer on the more expensive Bleecker Street, but my main concern with the J&M Tyndall was the shape. They are so damn long, they looked clown shoes to me. There was about an inch left of space at the toes in my regular size, and because of the cushioning inside, they were so tight around the entire width and top of the uppers that a size-down was not an option. The shape of the Bleecker is perfect in my opinion, since they use the same last as the popular AE Park Avenues and Strands, which I also own. At around $120, the Tyndall didn't seem like a bad option, until I wore them around the house. In my honest opinion, the extra $117 that I paid for the Bleecker factory seconds was absolutely worth it both in aesthetics and longevity of the shoes. I expect to wear the hell out of these for years to come, and when the time arrives, they are a recraft away from looking like-new again, something that could not be said about the cheaper Tyndalls. I'd post pictures for a side-by-side comparison but the Tyndalls are already boxed and ready to be sent back.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Quoted
    131 Post(s)
    Just won a pair of Allen Edmonds Shell Cordovan Macneils off ebay. The pictures weren't very good which i think helped keep the price down, but I'm betting they look pretty good in person. If not i got them cheap enough to justify recrafting. I'm planning to use them as my wedding shoes.

Last edited by mattface; January 30th, 2015 at 08:45 PM.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Quoted
    131 Post(s)
    While looking for a cordovan colored belt to go with my new shoes I discovered this beautiful buckle, and decided I'm going to buy a 1" belt blank to go with this buckle and, and dye it to match the shoes.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Quoted
    160 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Charles View Post
    I finally broke down and ordered this... https://www.jcrew.com/mens_category/...9719/A9719.jsp

I've been admiring it longingly for months, and now it's final sale.

Also this: https://www.jcrew.com/mens_category/...ame=batik-rope

Because it was cheaper to buy that than pay for the shipping on the jacket (which was $0.01 short of the free shipping threshold).
    The jacket arrived today. WOW!! It's my first Ludlow jacket. I have a JCF Thompsons already. This fits better than the Thompsons do. Fit and finish are wonderful! Just have to get the sleeves taken up about a half inch and it'll be perfect. Color me impressed. I was feeling a little guilty for the purchase but for $150 I feel like I stole this thing now that I have it in person.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Quoted
    131 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Charles View Post
    The jacket arrived today. WOW!! It's my first Ludlow jacket. I have a JCF Thompsons already. This fits better than the Thompsons do. Fit and finish are wonderful! Just have to get the sleeves taken up about a half inch and it'll be perfect. Color me impressed. I was feeling a little guilty for the purchase but for $150 I feel like I stole this thing now that I have it in person.
    That's awesome! I'm still wishing I'd bought one too, but I have made OH SO MANY fashion purchases lately (did I mention I found a pair of Iron Rangers for 30% off), I'd feel guilty as hell buying another jacket.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Quoted
    131 Post(s)

They came today. Aside from the fact that the seller had slathered them in brown polish, they are really in excellent shape. Plenty of life left in the soles. Lots of elbow grease, and a little venetian cream and they are coming up nicely. Allen edmonds cordovan cream and new laces will put the finishing touch on them.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quoted
    91 Post(s)
    Those look great, @mattface, awesome find!

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Quoted
    131 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by vespertiliovir View Post
    Those look great, @mattface, awesome find!
    Thanks still a little more work to do on them, but the color is coming back nicely thanks to my ministrations. The AE cordovan cream should "seal the deal". Just wish I could get the creases out of the right toe better. Maybe they'll settle down with a bit more time in the trees.