Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Dry clean or machine wash dress shirts?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Howdy everybody,

I was wondering how many of you guys out there got your button down dress shirts dry cleaned when they needed a wash and how many of you wash them yourselves according to the manufacturers specifications on the shirt?

I try to steer clear of the dry cleaners as much as I can, but my room mate gets his dress shirts dry cleaned ONLY every one or two times he wears them.

Opinions? Experiences?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I HATE ironing clothes... so my nice dress shirts, i'll take them to either get laundered or dry cleaned... My casual shirts, i'll just wash them at home according to the label. If my girl complains that my shirt is too wrinkled, i'll ask her to iron it for me otherwise im going out with a wrinkled shirt.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Quoted
    69 Post(s)

i dont like ironing, but i dont like giving people money to do things i can do either. If the clothes dont specifically call for the DC, i wash them at home. Dress shirts are not to be dried. i take those out of the wash and iron them immediately, this gives you a good moist material, w/o needing to starch. READ THE LABELS is stressed. go to artofmanliess.com, they have a great article on how to iron dress shirts...

"The key to Success is the Quality of Execution"
    I>0<I

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Taking dress shirts to the dry cleaners is a waste of money. Search around the net, you'll find that most dry cleaners follow the instructions on the tags. Meaning, you think you're paying to get them dry cleaned when they're actually being thrown in a washer. Some places actually do dry clean them, but far fewer than you think. If you specifically tell them to dry clean and not wash, they'll usually dry clean even if they'd normally wash.

As far as pressing goes, I prefer pressing them myself, as dry cleaners always do a poorer job than I would (USMC veteran, I'm neurotic about clean lines).

MaxMan is on the money: Wash them on gentle/delicate, hang them immediately without putting them in the dryer. The dryer causes more wear and tear than you wearing them. Buttoning the top button while it hangs helps the shirt retain its shape. Press them while they're damp or after they've dried.

Every few months, I'll take a tooth brush loaded with detergent to the collar and cuffs to get rid of the "ring around the collar" and the same around the cuffs. Use a gentle bristle brush.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Quoted
    69 Post(s)

good call on the tooth brush, the wife and i use a little oxy clean and some vinegar and let it(collar) soak for a half hour. I think i will add the tooth brush trick too to get that deep clean every few months...

"The key to Success is the Quality of Execution"
    I>0<I

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Do you hang them in your closet damp, or hang them on some sort of clothes line? I don't have room for a clothes line and am not sure how wise it would be to put wet clothes in a closed closet.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

@Bryan, I personally have some space in my attic/laundry room where I can hang my shirts. I can understand how not having space would pose a problem. Maybe just popping them in the dryer on low for 10 minutes could get the dampness out? Then they'd be ready to iron.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I hang mine in a closet with enough space to make sure they're not touching each other or anything else. It is absolutely imperative that your shirts aren't touching anything else, as other garments may have dyes in them that will bleed unto your shirt if they touch long enough. Happened to one of my favorite dress shirts when it was hung next to one of my wife's shirts.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

OxyClean is a miracle product!

I wash them at home, usually hang dry and touch up with an iron when they need it. I usually just toss something entertaining up on the tube and knock out several shirts at once when I have to do a lot of ironing.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Quoted
    93 Post(s)
    I have all of my dress shirts laundered at cleaners. I dont like to iron and washing machines destroy shorts imo. Paying 2 bucks to have $100 shirt done seems reasonable to me.