Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Golf anyone?

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    114 Post(s)
    Quoted
    618 Post(s)

Golf anyone?

Kinda surprised that I haven't seen a golf thread in this kind of forum. I'd have guessed at least some of you would be into golf.

Just picked up the sport, and I'm kinda hooked. I played here and there when I was little up until now, but never seriously. But I think I want to start going to the range at least once a week or so. So I need some advice on clubs. I have my brother's set of cheap Wilsons, but I want to get my own. Any advice on where I can pick up a cheap set of TaylorMades? I'm not too knowledgeable on the different types of TaylorMade clubs, but I'm just trying to pick up individual pieces for now. A 7 iron and 9 iron, a pitching wedge, a sand wedge, and a nice putter. I just purchased a pair of FootJoys, after getting it decently discounted from Zappos. Thanks in advance.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Quoted
    328 Post(s)
    I'm also surprised that I haven't seen much about golf on here. I've been playing as a hobby for the past 10 years. I'm far from a good player but I enjoy playing. It's a good excuse for me to hangout with my dad, who is an avid golfer now that he is retired. Up until now nearly all the clubs I have were given to me as gifts. So unfortunately I really don't know much about where to get a good deal on clubs. I'm also in the market for some new irons (5-9) as my current ones are really beat up so if anybody does know their knowledge would be much appreciated.

On a side note. Going to be hanging out in the members tent next weekend at the Deutsche Bank Championship here in MA. Can't wait to have what little confidence I have in my game shattered by seeing the pros at work in person lol

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by devastitis View Post
    Kinda surprised that I haven't seen a golf thread in this kind of forum. I'd have guessed at least some of you would be into golf.

Just picked up the sport, and I'm kinda hooked. I played here and there when I was little up until now, but never seriously. But I think I want to start going to the range at least once a week or so. So I need some advice on clubs. I have my brother's set of cheap Wilsons, but I want to get my own. Any advice on where I can pick up a cheap set of TaylorMades? I'm not too knowledgeable on the different types of TaylorMade clubs, but I'm just trying to pick up individual pieces for now. A 7 iron and 9 iron, a pitching wedge, a sand wedge, and a nice putter. I just purchased a pair of FootJoys, after getting it decently discounted from Zappos. Thanks in advance.
    I would check out discount sites like rockbottomgolf.com, dallasgolf.com, and 2ndswing.com. The last two sell used clubs. If you're a beginner,look for anything considered "Game Improvement" irons. I would recommend looking for a full set hybrid-iron combo set (where the 3 and 4 irons use hybrid clubs) if you plan on sticking with it and look at TaylorMade, Callaway, Cobra, and Adams Golf. You can get 2013, 2014 and 2015 models for less then a pair of AE Park Avenues. http://www.thehackersparadise.com/ is a good site for info on clubs. There's a thread called Deal of Day and Coupon where forum members post deals on everything golf including club sets and of course golf attire.

Golf can be one of the most frustrating activities but it's also one of the best - the game itself is great and hitting one great shot during a round makes you want to come back. Also, hanging out with friends, making new friends on the course, having a couple drinks during/after the round are other reasons I look forward to golfing whenever I can.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    Also, if you can, try to take a few lessons - either group or private.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    Welcome to the game. It's sad, but the fan base has steadily shrunk over the past decade or so. Nike announced earlier this month they are getting out of the equipment manufacturing business, and Adidas, who owns TaylorMade is trying to spin TM off. In my opinion, the game needs Tiger Woods back again competing at a high level.

Anyway, just some friendly advice, I'd advise against buying individual irons, I would buy an entire set at once. Clubs from different manufacturers and series can play so differently that if you're not going to play a matched set, it you could really throw off your swing, tempo, distance, etc.

TMs can be picked up cheaply anywhere. Their value retention is the worst in the sport, simply because they put out so many clubs each year. I wouldn't limit myself to TM though. Although I find their clubs to play fine, there are certainly other clubs out there that might help your game. I'd second rockbottomgolf, but since you're just starting out, I'd definitely suggest used clubs. Club technology doesn't change all that much from year to year, but you pay a premium for brand new clubs. Check out craigslist or ebay or even your local golf shop like Golfsmith, PGA Tour Store or even a small mom and pop shop. Hit with the clubs before you buy them of course. Good luck, the game is very rewarding if you stick with it.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Globalgolf.com is a great place to buy clubs. I have bought 4 or 5 different clubs from there, and they've always arrived in near-mint condition (I have bought clubs classified as anywhere from "Good" to "Mint" on their rating system)

Would be cool to see some golf items featured on here -- I suspect those of us who golf try to look put together on the course as well. If my skill isn't good, hopefully my outfit can be haha

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)
    It's really tempting to buy used clubs and save a bundle. However, like a good suit, clubs really should be custom fit. At worst, I'd advise you to do a static fitting with a Ping dealer. That will get you in the ball park of proper length and lie. But really a full on fitting would be best.

If I were in your shoes, I'd take a few lessons, and get a swing that's fairly reproducible. Then I'd pay for a full fitting. If it turns out you fit in off the rack clubs, then think about going used. But I guess like most of us, you're going to be better off with slight changes to the clubs. A good fitter and modify used clubs for you (assuming you don't need new shafts), but when you factor that into their price, you can usually save money by going new.

Mentioned
    200 Post(s)
    Quoted
    970 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Beck View Post
    It's really tempting to buy used clubs and save a bundle. However, like a good suit, clubs really should be custom fit. At worst, I'd advise you to do a static fitting with a Ping dealer. That will get you in the ball park of proper length and lie. But really a full on fitting would be best.

If I were in your shoes, I'd take a few lessons, and get a swing that's fairly reproducible. Then I'd pay for a full fitting. If it turns out you fit in off the rack clubs, then think about going used. But I guess like most of us, you're going to be better off with slight changes to the clubs. A good fitter and modify used clubs for you (assuming you don't need new shafts), but when you factor that into their price, you can usually save money by going new.
    Generally good advice above, but I think much like suits, you may not want to go straight to custom fitted clubs. It's tempting to really go full bore and buy everything ASAP, but I'd suggest continuing to use the Wilsons you got for free. Use those to do lessons and get a decent swing first as Andrew said, but I'd probably even take it further to try to go with those for a year or more. Clubs are built for your size, your swing path, your grip, etc., and even how you typically strike the ball. Many of those things will change over time at the beginning of your golf journey. You also may get bored of golf or decide you want to do something different. If you want to buy things now, I'd suggest looking at a putter or driver -- things you don't necessarily buy in a set like irons or wedges often are. That way you can get some newer/fancier tech but not break the bank ASAP... and also preserve a bit of resale value on those items which would be more off the shelf than custom irons. Then, once you feel like you're in golf for the longer term, you can spend on getting clubs that fit you and your game perfectly. Obviously a lot of this has to do with how much you can or want to spend, etc.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    There are several options for purchasing discount clubs. I definitely would echo some of the sentiments here and not jump to a custom set for several years until it is something you want to stick with. Craigslist, Play It Again, and Golf Galaxy are all options for cheap sticks, but you run the risk of people overpricing. I would suggest going to a local golf course with a set amount of money to spend and give them an idea of what you want. They usually have used clubs for sale, a driving range to try them, and knowledgeable pros to point you in the right direction.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Custom clubs are nice but really not needed. Unless you are over 6'2", under 5'5", have a pro speed swing, or are over 50 then normal length shafts, regular stiffness, and normal grips (all out of the box) are fine. Golf clubs do not retain their value very well, worse than driving a car off the lot. I recommend sticking with what you have until you really know that golf is your sport for a long time coming. I picked up my first set of cheap clubs for $100 and used them for three full years before upgrading to nicer set. There is so much going on and changing in your swing at the beginning that a $5 or $500 club is not really going to make a big difference. I paid full retail for the set I have now, minus the driver which I picked up for a huge discount from eBay, it was a demo for a sports shop in its previous life. I would suggest not piecing together your wedges, keep wedeges-4/3 a set. You can change out the putter for your choice, I still think my $10 putter was better than my $100 putter.... Driver is what ever you prefer. I love my TM and you can find older sets on the cheap from the suggested places posted before me. Callaway offers preowned clubs as well.