Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Dappered equivalent for home furnsihings/decor?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    13 Post(s)

Dappered equivalent for home furnsihings/decor?

So I'll be graduating from grad school soon and taking a new job in DC (yay!). Do you guys know of or frequently visit websites that are similar to Dappered (i.e. focused on affordability and not too trendy), but for home decor. To be honest I don't have the slightest idea how to decorate well. I know a space I like when I see it, but don't know how to get there.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quoted
    108 Post(s)
    There are a couple of interesting subreddits if that's your kinda thing. Warning....if you thought clothes, shoes, and accessories became an expensive habit, wait until you start furnishing your place.

https://www.reddit.com/r/interiordesign
    https://www.reddit.com/r/DesignMyRoom/

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Quoted
    150 Post(s)
    It's not a regular read for me, but I have ended up here after googling on a few separate occasions.

http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    65 Post(s)
    I recommend apartmenttherapy.com, and I am a regular reader. It can get a little overstylized, they worship really expensive furniture sometimes, but has a LOT of good design info and DIY projects.

Another is Primer Magazine. It is a similar site as this one focused on affordable mens style, and seems like they do a lot of sponsored content on that front, but also includes life tips, furniture/arrangement/quality suggestions, and more manly DIY projects than apartment therapy.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Quoted
    614 Post(s)
    I like apartment therapy a lot, for what it is, it's pretty good.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    33 Post(s)
    Wayfair.com to actually buy furniture

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Quoted
    435 Post(s)
    Just getting started take it slow. There is a tendency to fill your space. Similar to clothing buy quality on the main pieces like a sofa etc.when I bought my house I had one lamp I took it from room to room lol

In general I'd avoid ikea save for end tables and bookcases. It's crap that falls apart and isn't worth it. I'd recommend using craigslist to get higher end pieces that are actual wood.

Just find some good pictures etc that match your style. Hgtv has lots of user photos for references

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Quoted
    614 Post(s)
    actually if you want to try to generate some looks, you shoudl go on pinterest and look through for users whom have styles you are interested in, then you can find endless amounts of things.

Much like style, decorating is so subjective, it's hard to get into the right thing you like without knowing what its called.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Quoted
    614 Post(s)

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Quoted
    137 Post(s)
    I mentioned this in another thread, but www.houzz.com was a big help for finding looks and styles I liked when I set up my new home. Good filters in the search to help you dial in styles you may like.