View Poll Results: How many days a week do you usually wear a tie?

Voters
56. You may not vote on this poll
  • I never ever wear ties, they're gross.

5 8.93%
  • I can barely manage to wear a tie one day a week.

13 23.21%
  • At best, I can count on wearing a tie for two days a week.

8 14.29%
  • I can safely count on wearing a tie for three days a week.

7 12.50%
  • I end up wearing a tie for four days a week.

9 16.07%
  • I like to wear ties a lot! FIVE...countem FIVE DAYS A WEEK!

11 19.64%
  • I love ties so much!! I wear them six days a week.

2 3.57%
  • ALL THE TIES! ALL THE DAYS! MUST WEAR TIE ALL TIME

1 1.79%
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How many days a week do you usually wear a tie?

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Quoted
    614 Post(s)

How many days a week do you usually wear a tie?

Just wondering.

I personally would love to show off my tie collection a lot more, but it seems like my daily combo of a blazer, dress shirt, and pants that don't have food on them already makes my coworkers wonder exactly what kind of wierdo I may be.

I might be lucky if I get 2 tie days in a week. Usually I get a staff meeting on monday, and an inspector coming in wednesday. That is probably it.

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    167 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1037 Post(s)
    I used to do it 5 days. I got tired of all the comments (both compliments and "when is the interview?" or "who died?") so I bailed on the tie. Sadly it is now 0. I like to look nice but I don't really want to stand out that much. I work for a pretty decent sized company but even our CIO doesn't wear a tie unless we have clients in. I try to operate in the "one step up" range. The guys in my group wear black pants, company polos, and rockports most days. My blazer is out of place, much less wingtips and varying shades of chino colors. Ironically years ago when I used to work at Payless ShoeSource as a teenager, we had to wear ties to work. Now that I work for a Fortune 500 company, I wear chinos and a shirt.

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1011 Post(s)
    I wear a tie Monday through Thursday with an occasional Friday. I have a hard time buying ties but know a quality tie is worth it.

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    167 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1037 Post(s)
    I didnt vote int he poll because I never wear a tie but I dont think they are gross

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quoted
    72 Post(s)
    High tech means people freak when you wear one. I am the only guy in the office who does so about twice a month is the limit.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quoted
    151 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by idvsego View Post
    I used to do it 5 days. I got tired of all the comments (both compliments and "when is the interview?" or "who died?") so I bailed on the tie. Sadly it is now 0. I like to look nice but I don't really want to stand out that much. I work for a pretty decent sized company but even our CIO doesn't wear a tie unless we have clients in. I try to operate in the "one step up" range. The guys in my group wear black pants, company polos, and rockports most days. My blazer is out of place, much less wingtips and varying shades of chino colors. Ironically years ago when I used to work at Payless ShoeSource as a teenager, we had to wear ties to work. Now that I work for a Fortune 500 company, I wear chinos and a shirt.
    While I do understand both sides ("Why are you so dressed up?" vs. "I dress however I want"), I lean towards the better-dressed option (duh), but I draw the line at ties. I would love to show off my tie game as the color combos, patterns, and texture can get really interesting, but if wearing ties is not required then I see it as an affectation. Wearing blazers is a lot easier for me as they can serve a real purpose (warmth while looking more dressed up).

But you should count yourself lucky if you get to have sweater/jacket weather where you live. I live in the tropics, and work in IT where we're allowed to wear jeans and t-shirts all week, and it's rarely cold enough in the office to wear a jacket. I have the worst conditions to indulge in my style hobby.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quoted
    323 Post(s)
    Five days a week

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    167 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1037 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by julius12 View Post
    ... if wearing ties is not required then I see it as an affectation. Wearing blazers is a lot easier for me as they can serve a real purpose (warmth while looking more dressed up)...
    Kind of how I started to feel about it. Regarding the blazer though...if it swarm does it feel like an affectation? I struggle with that one too. I live in the south and it is fairly warm here for a big chunk of the year.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quoted
    356 Post(s)
    Once a week at church during choir season (fall through spring).

Work is the casual end of business casual.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Quoted
    435 Post(s)
    4-5 days a week. Most don't wear or even jackets but I dress for the position I want not just the one I have.

Usually M-Th it's suit or sport coat with tie and Friday suit sans tie. I always keep one in my office or work bag incase I have a meeting with any SES' on a Friday.