Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Semi OT: Beard Trimmer

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    26 Post(s)

Semi OT: Beard Trimmer

Gents,

Even though it feels like late spring in the South, I am growing out some facial hair for these cold winter months ahead. I don't do this often so I have never had a beard trimmer.

Do any of you have a beard trimmer that you would recommend?

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Quoted
    325 Post(s)
    I've had this since last Christmas and I like it:

http://www.amazon.com/Philips-Norelc...el+QG3364%2F42

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Quoted
    195 Post(s)
    I just got a basic beard trimmer from Target (this model: http://www.amazon.com/Philips-Norelc.../dp/B00ARF42D4). Has an adjustable & removable guard that easily changes up or down with a rotating knob with length # settings. It's certainly not high end, but it trims my beard just fine. Granted, I do not have a long, thick beard, so it's nothing complicated to manage.

I didn't want to have to deal with a multitude of attachments, etc.

Mentioned
    341 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1502 Post(s)
    I got this in-store at Costco for $40. No complaints so far.
    Ben

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Quoted
    113 Post(s)
    Get a Wahl. They're the best quality trimmers on the market. In my life I've bought many trimmers, all different brands too. I started buying them to shave my head when I was a 17 year old punk rock kid. I've been shaving my head ever since, though for the last five years I've switched to shaving cream and a Gillete on my head and the Wahl trimmer on my face. Every brand besides Wahl died out or broke pretty quickly. I've been using my current one for about six years. Before that, I had another Wahl that was going strong for four years but I lost it in a move. Between my head or face, they were used around five times a week with no signs of wearing out.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Quoted
    113 Post(s)
    I also think it's better to get one designed for cutting hair rather than trimming beards. They're marginally more money but they serve the same purpose with more power, so smoother cutting, less pulling, and less irritation, and come with attachments to adjust the length of the trim. Basically the same functionality but noticeably better performance and quality.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Quoted
    426 Post(s)
    I have one of the "multigroom" models from Philips (different model that what Rocco linked to, though). I'm not actually a huge fan. The interchangeable head pops off occasionally when adjusting the guard and none of the other attachments really get used. The interchangeable head on mine also provides a place for whiskers to gather, which adds an extra cleanup step. If I were buying again, I would buy model with a fixed head, cordless, and waterproof.

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Quoted
    325 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dpark View Post
    I have one of the "multigroom" models from Philips (different model that what Rocco linked to, though). I'm not actually a huge fan. The interchangeable head pops off occasionally when adjusting the guard and none of the other attachments really get used. The interchangeable head on mine also provides a place for whiskers to gather, which adds an extra cleanup step. If I were buying again, I would buy model with a fixed head, cordless, and waterproof.
    I use the nose trimmer and the adjustable length beard trimmer. It does trap hair, but it's never been a huge deal to me. I use it once every two weeks tops so if I trimmed more regularly maybe I would spring for something nicer.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Quoted
    760 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocco View Post
    I've had this since last Christmas and I like it:

http://www.amazon.com/Philips-Norelc...el+QG3364%2F42
    I have tried various trimmers and clippers of over the years and cost/performance wise, I cant say I have found anything better than this one. They tweak it from year to year but I have purchased it more than once. "Over the years" is about 15 years of beard maintenance.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Quoted
    189 Post(s)
    I'm a big fan of this Whal trimmer I bought about a year ago (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...rch_detailpage). It's powerful enough to do the job, wireless, and has a killer battery. My favorite feature is that if it's out of juice, plugging it in for 1 minute gives you 5 minutes of trim time.