Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Opinions of J Crew

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Quoted
    426 Post(s)
    My impression of J Crew is that they make nice stuff but that it is overpriced. Their outerwear seems slightly overpriced and their shirts seem significantly overpriced. I wouldn't likely buy anything from J Crew unless it was at least 30% off.

I've actually purchased very little from J Crew at all. I bought a pea coat but returned it. I've got a parka on the way that I will evaluate when it gets here. I don't think I have anything else from them in the closet, mostly because I don't tend to go to their stores (and the selection is always weak when I do, and its never on sale when I'm there) and most of my clothes are bought in person.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    114 Post(s)
    Quoted
    618 Post(s)
    I don't understand the negative opinions of JCrew's retail prices. Never buy anything at full price. Even if using their 25~35% off full price, shop through portals to get a bigger discount. Chase has an extra 6% cash back through their portal. Also, learn to embrace internet shopping, because brick and mortars are on their way out.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Quoted
    244 Post(s)
    Ahh, still think about that awesome 75% off sale they had in the summer. I didn't get the AS suede monks, but I loaded up on a bunch of stuff: 2 pairs of vans for $15 each, $25 wind breaker, Wallace and Barnes cone denim at $20ish and my wife got in on it too.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    114 Post(s)
    Quoted
    618 Post(s)
    I know the pair of AS navy suede dubmonks you guys are talking about. Had it in my cart as well. Just couldn't justify pulling the trigger because I couldn't figure out what I would wear with it. But my mind was quickly made up for me when it was snapped away.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    32 Post(s)
    I'm not even a bit ashamed to say that at this point, 70-80% of my daily wardrobe is made up of JCrew/JCF. From underwear to outerwear, the only major piece that I have that's not JCrew is a SuSu suit. But as much as I like their stuff, I can't remember the last time I paid full retail for anything from them. Honestly there just aren't that many brands that combine decent quality, convenient purchasing logistics (free shipping above $150, try-on at brick and mortar stores, free return/return to store), a not too trendy design, and affordability. JCrew may not excel at any one of these areas in particular, but they win my money over by offering the combination of these aspects.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Quoted
    372 Post(s)
    Wait for coupons or when the item gets out into sale. Heck I got a penfield Gibson for $80. I wouldn't pay full price but they do offer some good pieces. I've gotten good shirts, sweaters, suits and sportscoats. not a fan of their pants since they just don't fit me right.

Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Quoted
    463 Post(s)
    J Crew gets a lot of credit for pushing the "hip but conservative" look, which is some

overall, i'm probably a good example who wouldn't dive into fashion ever if I didn't have a sort of way to do it that made me feel confident.

I think they have rad clothes. Overall, very rad. There are some misses, and some hits like in any store.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    8 Post(s)
    Count me in the 'love them, but won't pay full price' camp. Their slim fit shirts are probably the best fitting OTR casual shirts that I've found so far, and waiting for them to hit clearance + code makes them a great deal IMO.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Quoted
    426 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by devastitis View Post
    I don't understand the negative opinions of JCrew's retail prices. Never buy anything at full price. Even if using their 25~35% off full price, shop through portals to get a bigger discount. Chase has an extra 6% cash back through their portal. Also, learn to embrace internet shopping, because brick and mortars are on their way out.
    The thing is that everybody has sales, so J Crew is still expensive comparatively. If you knock 30% off J Crew and 30% off, say, Banana Republic, you will still spend 25% more for a shirt at J Crew.

I'm personally extremely disinterested in scrounging small discounts through my credit cards. It's not worth the hassle to me. Also on this case it's not applicable since I do not have a Chase credit card.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quoted
    72 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by evanparker View Post
    J Crew gets a lot of credit for pushing the "hip but conservative" look, which is some

overall, i'm probably a good example who wouldn't dive into fashion ever if I didn't have a sort of way to do it that made me feel confident.
    That is exactly how I would sum them up. As a tall and a little heavy guy I appreciate the variety of fits. The JCF Sutton jeans are my go to and the Ludlow jackets are a great way to get something inexpensive and on trend. I have their Tall Dock peacoat with Thinsulate and I love it so much I would consider getting a second one in a different colour.

I actually tend to find more at JCrew Factory but that is likely because my local JCrew is a postage stamp sized store in a very difficult to access mall downtown and my Factory store is in a much more pleasant to shop in outlet mall.