Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Expected Life of Clothes?

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Quoted
    98 Post(s)

Expected Life of Clothes?

I'm curious how long (1 year; 2 years; longer?) folks find that particular articles of clothing last (dress shirts, polos, chinos, trousers), assuming the following:

1. Wear 1x per week.
    2. Wash shirts/chinos every 2-3 wears; more often necessary; dry clean trousers only when necessary.
    3. Washing machine wash - no time to hand wash - and often machine dry.

Botton Downs

Polos

Chinos

Wool Trousers

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quoted
    131 Post(s)
    Up and moving a lot or sitting at a desk?

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Quoted
    98 Post(s)
    Desk job.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    I can't give you an exact answer since I probably rotate shirts on a bi-weekly and seasonal basis. I've also replaced a ton of my wardrobe in the past 3 years because of weight loss.

I think clothing can last for quite a long time, but if I am trying to buy clothes that maintain its shape and color for as long as possible I usually try avoiding synthetic blend materials in my clothing. I also cold machine wash and hang dry my good shirts and pants (that are 100% cotton). I'll also hand wash delicate sweaters and also hang dry them.

It's been a while since I've had to get rid of a piece of clothing because of wear and tear. It's often due to me getting a stain on it or not fitting it anymore.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Quoted
    308 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wiliam View Post
    It's been a while since I've had to get rid of a piece of clothing because of wear and tear.
    10 years? 5? 1?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Really for a desk job, I've never had an article of clothing "wear out" on me. I live in the San Francisco Bay Area so it never gets too hot out here where my clothes take a beating from sweating and a ton of washes. I've had some beaten up cotton polo shirts from golfing probably due to sweat, sun and a ton of washes.

Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Quoted
    113 Post(s)
    I think it all boils down to the wear and tear. Most of my wardrobe is bi-weekly except for shirts since I have more of those. I have J. Crew chinos that are going on 3 years wear, they're the broken-in style so they're starting to show their age, but I also have two year old JCP dress shirts that still look brand new. Even some of the cheap stuff lasts if you take care of it.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quoted
    97 Post(s)
    I've worn out two cheap leather belts after over 3-5 years and three pair of Chuck's after 5+ years each, but that's about it. I still wear cheap polos I received over 10 years ago, and they've not faded very much due to washing on cold.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Quoted
    98 Post(s)
    I agree that I'm more likely to stain my clothes than actually wear them out. Even so, I do find that after a certain amount of time, things start to wear out. First thing to go seems to be the edge of chinos - maybe its because I walk around my house too much without shoes, so the edge wears against the floor. I'm really between a 31" and 32" inseam and don't often bother to get things hemmed. Next thing to go seems to be fraying on the collar or cuff on button-down shirts.

I'm curious - do people find that regular (meaning, non-wrinkle free) cotton is more sturdy then the equivalent weight/thickness wrinkle free cotton?

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quoted
    72 Post(s)
    Alex is spot on for the virtues of cold water. I have had shirts last a couple of hundred washes by using a decent machine and cold water. For me a pair of wool dress pants is good for about 2 years (most pairs get worn roughly every 10 days or so), a button up shirt for about 2 years (worn say every other week). I find polos last about half that as they lose their shape so I don't splash out on them.

Chinos last a season for me so about 20-30 wears before they fade too much (I used wear them in the office) so I gave up on them. Denim fits better and still look good worn in so they are a winner for me.

I rarely ruin clothes but periodically they get too short in the legs or arms to wear again. I have had a lot of style and (positive) weight changes over the last year so as my clothes are now better and better cared for I may get a longer run out of them.