Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone travel often and have a favorite carry-on bag?

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    14 Post(s)

Anyone travel often and have a favorite carry-on bag?

I have an upcoming trip to Vegas for my friend's bachelor party next month and realized I only have large sized luggage. I'd like to get a nice bag that I can fit a weekends worth of clothes/items in and still carry onto the plane. Saving the $25+ per flight is a big motivator. Reddit have a link to a Navali weekender on sale that looks promising, but I wanted to check these boards first.

So, I'm looking for a stylish bag for around $100 or less that has a good amount of room, but can still fit in an overhead compartment. Any travelers have suggestions you would like to recommend?

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Quoted
    315 Post(s)
    As a consultant, I am on the road a lot.

I just get a roll-aboard carry-on bag from Target where I can stack my laptop bag on top. I prefer the ones with wheels that are omnidirectional because then you don't have to always drag - you can also push.

They're usually available for ~$60-70, depending on the model.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    46 Post(s)
    I have an Oakley bag that's about 8 years old that I received as a gift. It's not the most stylish bag, but I really like that it has a separate compartment for shoes. I think that should be a must when looking since it helps keep your clothes clean and also allows you to bring a second pair of shoes on the trip.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    10 Post(s)
    The duffel looks good for the price, and from what I can tell from the picture the size seems normal/manageable for a weekend trip.

I've traveled with a fair amount over the past few years, with a lot more travel over the last year or so (international and domestic, both work, family visits, and vacation). I'd avoid the wheeled bag deal mentioned above if you aren't going to be traveling like a consultant/businessperson, because that'd be the only time you'll want to use that sort of a bag.

A decent duffel bag is much more versatile and will be completely fine for a weekend trip.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    I've been admiring this weekender from J. Crew for awhile but haven't pulled the trigger yet. It is a bit over your budget, but it is 30% off at the moment, so there is that.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Quoted
    204 Post(s)
    I know there have been a number of threads about various options for bags. Can anyone recommend any search terms that would work?? I tried to search for "bag" to pull up some other references here, but its apparently too generic/short of a term to search for.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    That bag looks good. I recently purchased a bag from Beckel Canvas. It's been featured on dappered before. I got the War Bag which provided plenty of room. I probably could have gone with the Possibilities Bag if it's just for a weekend trip. Simple, no-nonsense canvas bag for $80 that's made in the USA. Takes about 2-4 weeks though to get it because it's made to order. Also have the dopp kit that's great as well.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quoted
    45 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by drocpsu View Post
    I know there have been a number of threads about various options for bags. Can anyone recommend any search terms that would work?? I tried to search for "bag" to pull up some other references here, but its apparently too generic/short of a term to search for.
    Not sure about search terms but there was some good discussion in this thread:
    http://threads.dappered.com/showthre...vs-Weekend-Bag

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    14 Post(s)
    The Navali I linked has free shipping and returns, so I decided to order it. I'll report back with my impressions after it arrives. I like that they have a bunch of different types of bags, so I can grow my set over time if I end up liking this one. Their rucksack and computer briefcase also look pretty great.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quoted
    64 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sideswipe View Post
    Not sure about search terms but there was some good discussion in this thread:
    http://threads.dappered.com/showthre...vs-Weekend-Bag
    The Floto bags listed in that thread are pretty hot. I'm wanting one of those.