Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mini-Review: J.Crew Ludlow Sport Coat in Herringbone Italian Wool

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Quoted
    150 Post(s)

Mini-Review: J.Crew Ludlow Sport Coat in Herringbone Italian Wool

I have had trouble in the past with getting the right fit with Ludlows, but I thought I would try again with the recent 40% off sale. I need some help deciding whether to keep this or not.

This is a size 36R. I am 5'7 1/2'' and 126 lbs. I went with the Regular because I don't like short jackets, and the Ludlow is cut slightly shorter than traditional. It feels snug in the chest and waist. The sleeves are too long and will need to be shortened. Usually my main issue with Ludlows is getting the shoulders right. Does this look odd-shaped?

The color is labeled charcoal, but it looks almost mid-gray in person. The material feels nice, 100% wool. It is fully lined. It seems medium-heavy weight to me. Probably good for fall weather.

The price was 192.59 on sale (including tax), then I used my $50 Rewards card, so I paid the balance of $142.59. Overall, I am happy with the color and material given the price, and I like the fit everywhere except I am just not sure about the shoulders.

Is this worth keeping? Would I get my rewards card back if I return it? (the expiration on the card was late March)

Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Quoted
    113 Post(s)
    Other than a little nick off the sleeve length I'd say the fit looks pretty good. Still a pretty decent price for an all wool Ludlow.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Quoted
    34 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LCDR View Post
    I have had trouble in the past with getting the right fit with Ludlows, but I thought I would try again with the recent 40% off sale. I need some help deciding whether to keep this or not.

This is a size 36R. I am 5'7 1/2'' and 126 lbs. I went with the Regular because I don't like short jackets, and the Ludlow is cut slightly shorter than traditional. It feels snug in the chest and waist. The sleeves are too long and will need to be shortened. Usually my main issue with Ludlows is getting the shoulders right. Does this look odd-shaped?

The color is labeled charcoal, but it looks almost mid-gray in person. The material feels nice, 100% wool. It is fully lined. It seems medium-heavy weight to me. Probably good for fall weather.

The price was 192.59 on sale (including tax), then I used my $50 Rewards card, so I paid the balance of $142.59. Overall, I am happy with the color and material given the price, and I like the fit everywhere except I am just not sure about the shoulders.

Is this worth keeping? Would I get my rewards card back if I return it? (the expiration on the card was late March)
    I find the shoulder divots to be too pronounced to consider it a good fit, but if it doesn't bother you I wouldn't make an issue of it.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    35 Post(s)
    It might be a bit too large for my tastes, but I think a size down would likely be too small. It doesn't look bespoke (of course), but for the price it looks like a great addition to your wardrobe. Full disclosure: if it's not bespoke or MTM, I'm not very picky. And if I get something for 40% off and then $50 off, I'm REALLY not picky.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    33 Post(s)
    It's funny you say it feels snug in the chest and waist because it looks loose in those places... from the front. After seeing it from behind I understand better.

I notice you didn't post any pictures with your arms raised. Personally, I would return the jacket, but only because I can't stand the level of shoulder padding that seems to be going on with this coat. I'm much more willing to tolerate chopped tails or sleeves that show my whole shirt cuff rather than deal with looking like a linebacker when I go to shake hands or grab something from a shelf.

On the other hand, if returning it won't get back the $50 rewards card and your tailor thinks they can work with it... well, grey herringbone makes an awesome 3 season blazer.

Banned
    Mentioned
    152 Post(s)
    Quoted
    665 Post(s)
    The shoulders aren't good. Return it. A size smaller might work, though.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    32 Post(s)
    I don't understand the shoulder complaints. Can somebody explain?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    24 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by uklawdawg View Post
    I don't understand the shoulder complaints. Can somebody explain?
    See how at his shoulder it goes straight down and then follows the contour of his arm? The whole sleeve should be following the contour. It looks like it is too large, the shoulder seem extends past his natural shoulder line and the padding makes it more pronounced. I would also return it or try to side down to a 34. I think a 34 will fit you better in the body as well - 126lbs is SKINNY.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    9 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by VespaMatt View Post
    I think a 34 will fit you better in the body as well - 126lbs is SKINNY.
    ^yes. I'm 5'9", 150, wear a 36S ludlow.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quoted
    15 Post(s)
    I'm 5'6", 125#, 36" chest; I wear a 34S. Solves the same problem I had in 36S sizes. It's worth trying as a comparison!