Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Beckett Simonon now has a Goodyear-Welted collection

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Beckett Simonon now has a Goodyear-Welted collection

Not sure if the constitutes as a "deal", but Beckett Simonon appears to have recently launched a line of Goodyear-Welted offerings ranging from $125-$140. Not a bad price for Goodyear-welt. So far, they have 6 different styles, with the double-monk being my personal fav at the moment. It appears they are still in their introductory phase and list that shoes will not be shipped until 11/20. Check out my signature below for a $15 credit towards an order. As a disclaimer, I am not affiliated with the company, just a fan of good deals.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I've been waiting for this for some time. Time to bite the bullet.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jwfrasier View Post
    I've been waiting for this for some time. Time to bite the bullet.
    I felt the same way when I found out. So far, their non-welted shoes have gotten good reviews, but the extra perks of a goodyear welt at a great price have pushed me to dive in.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Guys, I think it's worth noting that a $130 goodyear welted shoe is an example of putting the cart before the horse.

The point of a goodyear welt is that it allows for multiple resolings. It's a more expensive way to attach a sole to an upper (compared to gluing) but it's supposed to pay off in the long run since a sole wears out much faster than an upper. Goodyear welted shoes almost always have high quality expensive uppers and it would be a shame to throw out that upper after one year of wear just because the sole has worn out.

What Beckett Simonen is doing here is realizing that there is a current menswear trend toward goodyear welted shoes. More men are purchasing high quality footwear which typically comes with a goodyear welt. Beckett Simonen is therefore offering a goodyear welt without understanding why you would want a goodyear welt. A $130 pair of shoes is almost certainly not worth resoling. The upper simply cannot be high quality leather at that price and the cost to resole is in the $80-100 ballpark. You may as well toss the shoes at that price.

In summary, goodyear welts are desirable because they allow you to preserve your high quality upper through multiple resolings. They are not desirable simply because they are a superior manufacturing technique in their own right.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Quoted
    121 Post(s)
    Very well put by AJG. When you put it that way it makes a lot of sense.

Dappered Veteran
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Quoted
    92 Post(s)
    So much walnut... and HAH: "The Hughes Longwing pairs just as easily with your boardroom-ready power suit" - please don't wear these walnut longwings w/ a suit!
    Agree w/ everything AJG said. If you want something in this price range, either buy AE Seconds or shoes from Ebay (or Meermin, which are a bit more $$) or get stuff from the JCP collection which is cheaper and seems to be quite good. The leather just doesn't seem to look very good. But I'd be happy to be proven wrong!

If you want to try them out, I'd go for these: http://www.beckettsimonon.com/collec...ng-camel-suede

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I think we all know better than to compare these to AE's or a comparable maker. But for those interested in making the entry plunge into the dapper game, these aren't a bad start. I also think its really premature to assume the leather uppers aren't worth their price tag or even exceed it. For example, to throw a brand name out there, guys feel they are buying quality when getting a pair of Cole Haan's, but the quality of CH can vary widely. And resoling can come as cheap as $40 so to get a $130 pair resoled isn't that crazy of a plan. Hopefully the leather holds up that long but we won't know until its made and the reviews come through. Plus guys should be circulating their shoes and utilizing trees so most pairs can last a good while. At their price point, it really isn't a big splurge. Take it for its face value and don't over-criticize an option worth exploring. No one wants the dappered threads to become styleforum 2.0

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    8 Post(s)
    I ordered it way back when they started up, and hated the leather. It was a shiny, almost photocopied plastic representation of a fine leather shoe. Almost like a picture of a better shoe.

To be fair, I ordered hughes longwing in a strange predistressed shiny pattern, so some of these plain leathers might read better in person. What I got that time though I definitely wouldn't want to resole. I didn't even want to wear them, I returned them.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Quoted
    121 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rayguy24 View Post
    I think we all know better than to compare these to AE's or a comparable maker. But for those interested in making the entry plunge into the dapper game, these aren't a bad start. I also think its really premature to assume the leather uppers aren't worth their price tag or even exceed it. For example, to throw a brand name out there, guys feel they are buying quality when getting a pair of Cole Haan's, but the quality of CH can vary widely. And resoling can come as cheap as $40 so to get a $130 pair resoled isn't that crazy of a plan. Hopefully the leather holds up that long but we won't know until its made and the reviews come through. Plus guys should be circulating their shoes and utilizing trees so most pairs can last a good while. At their price point, it really isn't a big splurge. Take it for its face value and don't over-criticize an option worth exploring. No one wants the dappered threads to become styleforum 2.0
    I disagree. This has nothing to do with becoming dappered 2.0. You usually get what you pay for, especially when it comes to leather quality. Why would they give you higher quality leather at a lower price point than everyone else? Why would someone spend even $40 (not sure where you're getting your shoes resoled that cheap for since even local cobblers usually charge more than that) to get these resoled? It's similar to when I took my car in and they claim there were some minor oil leaks from several places. I asked the guy why I would spend $3000 on repairs for a car that is now worth $4500 max. I'd rather sell it and use the money as down payment for a new car. Same thing applies here.

It's smarter for people to spend $60 on Stafford shoes and replace those in a few years. You could have 2 pairs of Stafford shoes for less than the cost of 1 pair of these. Those aren't going to be AE quality leather either, but they don't claim to be and have much better reviews than these things.
    Last edited by bruschetta; August 21st, 2013 at 02:22 PM.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quoted
    55 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AJG Esq View Post
    Guys, I think it's worth noting that a $130 goodyear welted shoe is an example of putting the cart before the horse.

The point of a goodyear welt is that it allows for multiple resolings. It's a more expensive way to attach a sole to an upper (compared to gluing) but it's supposed to pay off in the long run since a sole wears out much faster than an upper. Goodyear welted shoes almost always have high quality expensive uppers and it would be a shame to throw out that upper after one year of wear just because the sole has worn out.

What Beckett Simonen is doing here is realizing that there is a current menswear trend toward goodyear welted shoes. More men are purchasing high quality footwear which typically comes with a goodyear welt. Beckett Simonen is therefore offering a goodyear welt without understanding why you would want a goodyear welt. A $130 pair of shoes is almost certainly not worth resoling. The upper simply cannot be high quality leather at that price and the cost to resole is in the $80-100 ballpark. You may as well toss the shoes at that price.

In summary, goodyear welts are desirable because they allow you to preserve your high quality upper through multiple resolings. They are not desirable simply because they are a superior manufacturing technique in their own right.
    One of the best posts I've ever read. Well spoken, sir.