Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Blazer help

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Blazer help

I'm looking to buy a blazer that meets the following conditions. Any help would be much appreciated.

1) Reasonably priced (<$200)
    2) Slim-ish fit but not like something from H&M or other stores designed for skinny teens -- maybe 'tailored' is the word I'm looking for. Looking to avoid baggy, enormous, boxy types. Something that's stylish but not ultra-trendy. I'm approaching 40 but look young and play in a band.
    3) Equally suitable for a semi-decent night out or an indie rock show. By this I mean I'd like it to be decent quality but not something so dressy that it's only suitable for corporate workplaces.

Basically I want a do-it-all blazer since I don't wear them very often. Something that's pretty normal but maybe has a subtly unique aspect to it that keeps it from being too square. If this doesn't make any sense I"m happy to elaborate. Thanks!

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Quoted
    191 Post(s)
    I'd start by looking at grey blazers. I usually advocate navy, I picture you wearing it a lot with jeans. Grey isn't any less appropriate than navy and may go better with your palette. I'll have to dig around for specific examples.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quoted
    100 Post(s)
    Try the Unconstructed Ludlow's from J Crew.

http://www.jcrew.com/mens_category/s...tsandvests.jsp

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    My personal recommendation is a navy or grey. If you're trying to buy new, then your best bet is probably to wait for a Banana Republic sale that includes blazers and then grab one of theirs. You can also consider getting a Thompson suit jacket from J.Crew Factory, though you just missed a 50%-off sale. If you don't mind second-hand goods, you'll find some great deals at thrift stores or especially online. There are a lot of high-quality suit jackets that have been orphaned because the pants wore out. You can get them for a steal and then have a tailor replace the buttons with something more blazer-like.

If you're looking for something super versatile, make sure it has a bit of structure and has flap pockets. Wool is best.
    Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society. ~Twain

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Quoted
    191 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DXLi View Post
    If you're looking for something super versatile, make sure it has a bit of structure and has flap pockets. Wool is best.
    This. Semi-structured, but not too stiff and sleek.
    Last edited by alan; May 29th, 2013 at 02:56 PM.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Quoted
    92 Post(s)
    i would focus on the first scenario for when you look for your blazer. it's reasonable to expect to have to wear a jacket to a nice dinner. the second scenario is more fashion for the sake of fashion, and introducing a blazer to a rock show is adventurous/unnecessary. i don't think you'll shoe horn one jacket into both scenarios without looking out of place at one of them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks for this. Glad you all said grey 'cause that's what I was leaning towards. Would something like this work in most/all seasons?

http://www.jcrew.com/mens_category/s...6267/66267.jsp

I just want to make sure it's not too "suit-y". A little more than I'm looking to spend but I'm OK with that if it's going to last and be a mainstay.

Dappered Veteran
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quoted
    105 Post(s)
    Get the jacket that goes w/ these pants: http://factory.jcrew.com/mens-clothi...loth/34431.jsp

Grabbed it for ~$140 during a sale. Looks great. Gray that leans a bit navy in some light. It has the tailored fit you're looking for.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LosRockets View Post
    Get the jacket that goes w/ these pants: http://factory.jcrew.com/mens-clothi...loth/34431.jsp

Grabbed it for ~$140 during a sale. Looks great. Gray that leans a bit navy in some light. It has the tailored fit you're looking for.
    Damn -- I think that's exactly what I'm looking for. And of course they are sold out!
    http://factory.jcrew.com/mens-clothi...4398/34398.jsp

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Quoted
    92 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by boxingclever View Post
    Thanks for this. Glad you all said grey 'cause that's what I was leaning towards. Would something like this work in most/all seasons?

http://www.jcrew.com/mens_category/s...6267/66267.jsp

I just want to make sure it's not too "suit-y". A little more than I'm looking to spend but I'm OK with that if it's going to last and be a mainstay.
    No don't do this. It is 100% a suit, and not meant to be worn without its matching pants.