Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: When to choose a casual blazer vs other more casual outerwear

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

When to choose a casual blazer vs other more casual outerwear

In today's post, Joe mentions: "One of the first blazers any guy starting to experiment with his own style will buy, and one of those items that’ll get plenty of use even as he graduates on to more expensive and better made jackets. There’s a place for a “beater blazer” in just about everyone’s wardrobe. A jacket does a lot for your look, even if you’re extremely dressed down. These blazers are cut from cotton with little lining or structure, and they’re meant to be worn casually. So much so that pairing a tie with one would probably look a little off. The fabric is going to wrinkle and rumple, and that’s just fine. You’ll spill salsa, beer, nacho cheese, or all of the above on it."

What occasions would a rumpy/casual navy blazer warrant that is a step above a regular jacket but below the requirement of needing a more form fitting cotton/wool blazer? Does a casual rumpled navy blazer really add much more? Examples:

Target Merona:

Target Jacket:

Trucker Jacket:

What are your thoughts on the place of the casual blazer?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    The casual beater blazer says "I want to be formal, but I'm here to party."
    Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society. ~Twain

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Quoted
    166 Post(s)
    I've got nothing particular about the Merona jacket, but they must be cut for someone with a very different body shape from my own.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    I wanted one (see my thread about a blazer to take to Vegas) because I wanted to look a little better than just another dude in a button up and jeans while trying to tread the nightclub scene, but ultimately I couldn't find one I liked. But that's pretty much my criteria too -- when you want to look nice but don't want to look too nice.

Similarly, when you need to wear a coat because it's too cold but still need to look somewhat nice.

Really, the more I think about it seems like the ideal "going out drinkin' in the city" component. You will be warm enough in Spring/early Fall with just a shirt and the blazer, but not so warm that you are dying to take it off when inside the bar (and risk losing it, forgetting it, or getting your coat stolen). Way more versatile than another lightweight coat that wouldn't work indoors.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    kinda skimmed the post, but my first thought about the blazer vs the other jackets, was a sleeker look. (my two cents, i choose a blazer when i won't be lying on the couch watching TV, or bumming around food/beer/guys night vs something a little more 'classy')

Dappered Veteran
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quoted
    54 Post(s)
    In my social circles, no one would wear a blazer for what many of us would consider a casual setting (eg. dinner, drinks, game night, etc.). I like to wear blazers, weather permitting, casually (with jeans, chinos, a button down), so I'll bust one out knowing that no one else will. I often feel over-dressed, however. I like those casual jackets Acoustic posted because they're a great way to add visual interest and layers without upping the formality. I don't get any comments from my friends if I wear a trucker jacket or a cardigan, but I usually do if I wear a blazer, even if it's cotton, unstructured and unlined.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bjmcgeever View Post
    In my social circles, no one would wear a blazer for what many of us would consider a casual setting (eg. dinner, drinks, game night, etc.). I like to wear blazers, weather permitting, casually (with jeans, chinos, a button down), so I'll bust one out knowing that no one else will. I often feel over-dressed, however. I like those casual jackets Acoustic posted because they're a great way to add visual interest and layers without upping the formality. I don't get any comments from my friends if I wear a trucker jacket or a cardigan, but I usually do if I wear a blazer, even if it's cotton, unstructured and unlined.
    I'm in similar social circles bjm. I have no problems wearing a blazer when I'm in a work setting, but wearing one casually looks really out of place when I'm with my friends. Wearing a trucker/parker over a fitted shirt, tie and slacks offers the most versatility in my circles it seems.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by alan View Post
    I've got nothing particular about the Merona jacket, but they must be cut for someone with a very different body shape from my own.
    WTF!? Alan you're back! Where have you been???

Dappered Veteran
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    10 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bjmcgeever View Post
    Same story for me. Although I'm not a fan of cardigans and need to find a rugged jacket for myself. In the winter I wore my LE Oilcloth jacket (the expensive one marked down to around $75 that many of us jumped on) and felt really comfortable wearing it everywhere, and want to find something similar for warmer weather. I've got several degrees of casual blazers...the Merona is basically for days when I'm running boring errands and don't want to grab a jacket but I'm wearing a shirt that needs to be tucked in and hasn't been tailored. I think part of the trick to wearing a blazer casually is not treating it as if it were something precious (basically not being conscious of it) and just doing what you'd normally do.

I really like the trucker Acoustic posted, I need to see how such a thing would look on me.

Also, as Foodie said: "WTF!? Alan you're back! Where have you been???" and welcome back man!

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    I think the casual blazer is for when you want to look better than average, don't want to worry about what might happen to the garment, and when no one is looking real close (i.e. examining the quality). Oh, and when you want something with outside functionality that can be worn inside. I don't think you can get away with anything zippered or much bulky inside. The trucker is ok but toes the line.