Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need Some Help With What To Wear

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)

Need Some Help With What To Wear

I'm going on a trip in the next few weeks, and it's going to involve white water rafting and paint-balling at some point. Any help with what I should be wearing? I mean, I know obviously a bathing suit (for the rafting), but what about shoes?

It's these sort of not-work-not-casual but rather, genuinely rugged scenarios that I never know what to wear to...

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Quoted
    191 Post(s)
    When paint-balling, you're best off wearing something that you won't be upset about destroying. You might want to consider something like a long sleeve t-shirt that isn't heavy, but will protect your arms somewhat. For pants, an old pair of work jeans are a good choice. If they already have paint stains, a few more won't hurt.

As far as shoes for rafting, if you have some old beat-up sneakers, you're already set. If you have to go out and get something, don't worry too much about durability unless you see a lot of outdoor sports in your future. Socks will only keep your feet wet so go sockless. I would avoid open sandals because if you end up in the water, you'll want more protection for your feet. if you have to go get new shoes anyway, the Teva Dozer is practically legendary for situations like this. They also work perfectly well for hiking since the toe box is pretty well covered. If anything gets in there, you can just shake it right out.

http://www.rei.com/product/811515/te...9-001b2166c2c0

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    Thank you! That was actually tremendously helpful.

If anyone else had anything, feel free to add!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    @Alan: Oh wait, just also quickly, what about shoes for paintballing?

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Quoted
    121 Post(s)
    This is what I usually wear when paintballing but I'm guessing you're not going to have all that. :P

If you have old soccer or football cleats, those would be perfect. I always wear soccer cleats since I don't need ankle support. If not, use some old sneakers although you will slip more in them. Wear like a long sleeve t-shirt as was suggested by Alan. I wouldn't wear jeans though as they get heavy if you start sweating and also won't allow you to be as flexible as you'd like. I'd go with sweatpants or some sort of workout pants before wearing jeans. Or if you have an old set of army camos that you might have picked up from a surplus store at some point - those would be even better.

Just know that the dirt, mud, and grass stains are generally harder to wash out than the paint from the paintballs. Only the cheapest paintballs like crap sold at Wal-Mart stains. Any half decent paintball will use paint that washes right out.
    Last edited by Vicious49; May 14th, 2013 at 12:22 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    @Devir: What kind of paintballing is it? Woodsball? Outdoor speedball? Those beat-up sneakers alan mentioned would work for most types, though outdoor boots would be better for woodsball. Consider wearing an extra layer or two below your waist to protect your vitals. For instance, maybe wear loose-fitting warm-ups with a couple workout shorts underneath.

I second alan's recommendations for rafting. I also like Vibram FiveFingers for rafting, but those are only something you should purchase if you'll do other things with them. You should bring some sunscreen. If you burn easily, you may also want to consider a thin hat with a visor and maybe some kind of long-sleeved synthetic athletic shirt. A rash guard is best, but there's no need to go out of your way to get it.
    Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society. ~Twain

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Quoted
    191 Post(s)
    FWIW, these are the amphibious shoes that I use. I'm fortunate to have a Columbia Outlet store near me, though. These shoes went with me to Costa Rica and spent time in and out of the water. They're discontinued now, but a quick google search for "amphibious shoes" turns up a ton of results. Keen also makes some very popular ones, but they're crazy expensive (IMO) for someone who isn't going to get a LOT of use out of them.

http://www.pacificnorthwestoutfitter...Outpost/Detail

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Quoted
    121 Post(s)
    I wouldn't worry much about getting shot in your 'vitals'. I've only ever gotten shot there once and that was while reffing. Out of all the time I've been at the field, I see it happen maybe twice a year to someone. It's not something I'd be overly concerned with. And it being your first time, you'll probably be hiding in the back so not likely it would hurt much from that distance anyways.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    @Vicious49 I definitly do not have all that gear, but this is actually my second time paintballing. Last time I didn't really know what to wear, so I just threw on some jeans and a shirt, which is what everyone is telling me to do now anyway This will be my first time playing outside, though.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Quoted
    191 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by devirkahan View Post
    @Vicious49 I definitly do not have all that gear, but this is actually my second time paintballing. Last time I didn't really know what to wear, so I just threw on some jeans and a shirt, which is what everyone is telling me to do now anyway This will be my first time playing outside, though.
    I think Vicious' advice for other pants is probably a good one. He's likely going to be the most experienced paint baller among us (at least in this thread). The reason I threw out jeans is because I figure everyone has an old pair in their closet somewhere.