Thread: Polos in the Office: When is it hot enough?

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    18 Post(s)

Polos in the Office: When is it hot enough?

I work in a business casual office where the dress leans very casual. I try to keep my style a bit more dressed up. A button down and chinos is about as casual as I get in the office.

With summer approaching I wonder if you wear Polos to the office at what temperature do you start wearing them? Here in NC it can be 90+ degrees for weeks at a time during the summer month.

So do you wear polos to work? When do you start wearing them to work? What stops you from wearing them to work?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    Atlanta area. Workplace that also leans on the very casual side of business casual. Polos are already being worn en mass here. I haven't yet. I normally wait until it become consistently mid-80's before I switch to short sleeves. Long sleeves are not comfortable even with rolled up sleeves above 90 (sleeves are too tight at that point, I'm an always undershirt guy though).

Also to clarify. With my position I can get called out for "field work" at any time. Which means if I don't dress to where I'm somewhat comfortable outside I could potentially have an awful day. Standing outside in 100 degree weather in dress pants and long-sleeve button up is miserable, just the same for linen pants and short sleeve shirt in weather below 60.
    Last edited by Xeones25; May 9th, 2013 at 01:48 PM.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Quoted
    117 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bremersm View Post
    I work in a business casual office where the dress leans very casual. I try to keep my style a bit more dressed up. A button down and chinos is about as casual as I get in the office.
    Sounds like you and I work in offices with similar dress codes. Most wear t shirts, polos, or plaid shirts and jeans. Some wear (billowy) button ups and khakis.

Quote Originally Posted by bremersm View Post
    With summer approaching I wonder if you wear Polos to the office at what temperature do you start wearing them? Here in NC it can be 90+ degrees for weeks at a time during the summer month.

So do you wear polos to work? When do you start wearing them to work? What stops you from wearing them to work?
    I'm in TX so the summers are brutal. I think we had over a month of 100+ highs at one point last summer. Last summer, I avoided polos at work, though I can't quite remember why. This summer, I plan on wearing them more, especially if I know I'll have to be outside for a period of time.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Quoted
    81 Post(s)
    Chime in if you see plenty of this, but at my office its year round pleated or pressed wool dress slacks with polo shirts. Some are of the shiny Nike Golf variety (hate, hate, hate this look) where others its the standard pique cotton. When did this become OK? Jeans, chinos, shorts, no foul. But to me it looks like a PGA tournament in my office on a daily basis (if the golfers all wore square-toed, black, slip-on "dress" shoes of course).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I live in San Francisco so keep in mind people have their own definition of style here. lol

But I rock a polo on an occasional Friday at the office. I actually think a slim fit polo, slim chinos and loafers/boat shoes/whatever is an underrated look.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    19 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dackman View Post
    Chime in if you see plenty of this, but at my office its year round pleated or pressed wool dress slacks with polo shirts. Some are of the shiny Nike Golf variety (hate, hate, hate this look) where others its the standard pique cotton. When did this become OK? Jeans, chinos, shorts, no foul. But to me it looks like a PGA tournament in my office on a daily basis (if the golfers all wore square-toed, black, slip-on "dress" shoes of course).
    Agree, in general I cannot stand golf shirts and polyester shirts in general outside of sports. In a sporting context like tennis or golf these shirts can look great.

As far as the khakis/polo look is reminiscent of a PGA tour event, I'm glad polo use is acceptable in business casual. I would suffer in hot weather if I had to wear long sleeves all summer. At least polo's are much much better than the dreaded short sleeve button up.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dackman View Post
    But to me it looks like a PGA tournament in my office on a daily basis (if the golfers all wore square-toed, black, slip-on "dress" shoes of course).
    HAHAHAHAHAHA

Granted the summers in NYC can be brutal (humid, you're walking everywhere and then waiting for a bus in the sun or in a sauna like subway station) but I've always avoided wearing polos.

Outside of NYC, I can't quite understand why a dress shirt and even sport coat is too hot for so many people who walk out their front door, into a car with AC, across the parking lot to an office with AC and then back again. Obviously different if you're working outside or biking to work, but still...