Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Suspenders: Clip or Button?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    12 Post(s)

Suspenders: Clip or Button?

Mom's wedding is in June. Thinking of doing walnut(ish) shoes, navy pants, striped shirt. The kicker is either vest or suspenders...

For suspenders- clips are considered tacky, no? My sister was telling me unless its a tux, clips are fine. Trying to do this on a budget and being 6'1, 180lbs, a lot of clothes are too big on me so I know I may have to sucker up on some nicer threads...

thanks guys. Also this is my first post so hello everyone out there!

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quoted
    166 Post(s)
    Yes, clip ons are considered tacky. It's even more tacky when the pants you wear them with have belt loops and you're wearing suspenders with them. And by no means do you wear suspenders and a belt. The proper way to do it is to have a pant that has buttons on the inside for proper suspenders to attach to.

For the ultimate in tacky and a reminder that money does not buy you taste/style . . .

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Quoted
    69 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Vicious49 View Post
    Yes, clip ons are considered tacky. It's even more tacky when the pants you wear them with have belt loops and you're wearing suspenders with them. And by no means do you wear suspenders and a belt. The proper way to do it is to have a pant that has buttons on the inside for proper suspenders to attach to.

For the ultimate in tacky and a reminder that money does not buy you taste/style . . .

This clown might actually have some style! this would have worked well if he actually didnt wear the suspenders / belt, sunglasses. I could picutre this without it all and it is nice. Less is more guys, less is more!
    "The key to Success is the Quality of Execution"
    I>0<I

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Quoted
    69 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wheresbrando View Post
    Mom's wedding is in June. Thinking of doing walnut(ish) shoes, navy pants, striped shirt. The kicker is either vest or suspenders...

For suspenders- clips are considered tacky, no? My sister was telling me unless its a tux, clips are fine. Trying to do this on a budget and being 6'1, 180lbs, a lot of clothes are too big on me so I know I may have to sucker up on some nicer threads...

thanks guys. Also this is my first post so hello everyone out there!
    Welcome brando! Generally, i would stay away from style advice from women unless they know mens wear. clips are like clip on ties they are ok if your lik 9 and want to dress like your dad, or being dressed by your dad.
    "The key to Success is the Quality of Execution"
    I>0<I

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    12 Post(s)
    Alright that's what I thought. I'm assuming a tailor would be able to add buttons, no?

And it seems like 80% of people that work in suiting departments or nicer clothing stores have no idea how to take measurements. The best was the girl at BR saying "You look like a medium. That's how I take measurements"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Yeah, a tailor can add buttons and they can also remove belt loops if you want. I'm getting belt loops removed on one of my pants as they fit well and have side tabs. Are you wearing a jacket as well? Technically (or historically), suspenders are not worn to be seen. I don't mind my suspenders showing if i have to take my jacket off, but I would personally avoid suspenders if they will always be seen. Just my opinion!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    12 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry View Post
    Yeah, a tailor can add buttons and they can also remove belt loops if you want. I'm getting belt loops removed on one of my pants as they fit well and have side tabs. Are you wearing a jacket as well? Technically (or historically), suspenders are not worn to be seen. I don't mind my suspenders showing if i have to take my jacket off, but I would personally avoid suspenders if they will always be seen. Just my opinion!
    Wasn't planning on it... wanted to keep it slightly light/casual. I was thinking about doing a vest instead of the suspenders.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    A bit of forewarning, belt loop removal can get expensive. For whatever reason my Tommy Hilfiger tuxedo came with belt loops, so I had the tailor remove the belt loops and add buttons for the braces. In order to remove the loops he had to take apart the waistband.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    12 Post(s)
    So in order to sufficiently rock button suspenders, you aren't supposed to have belt loops?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wheresbrando View Post
    So in order to sufficiently rock button suspenders, you aren't supposed to have belt loops?
    Some people are more picky than others and I dont believe there is a strict "rule" on this. However, what you will hear from most is that you should wear a belt if you see belt loops.