Thread: What to pair these shoes with?

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Quoted
    141 Post(s)

What to pair these shoes with?

I got these sand suede AE wingtips recently but don't know what to wear them with. Maybe I'm just doubting myself but they just don't seem right with anything I try them on with. Ignore the laces. I was trying them to see what color they look better with since I bought the AE shoelace variety pack.

What would you wear these with?

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Quoted
    69 Post(s)
    Just rethink your contrast, since your shoes will be light wear darker pants, i like navy, nantucket red, just darker shades for pants and light, either a sky blue ocbd etc.
    "The key to Success is the Quality of Execution"
    I>0<I

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Quoted
    76 Post(s)
    Yep, I'd agree with MaxMan. Take the white/cream pants with navy suede shoes look, and flip it. I don't know how good it really looks to others, but today I went with some very light beige suede Jack Purcells (w/white soles & laces) paired with navy chinos. To me, it works. Dunno.

I do feel ya, though, Vicious. Sometimes shoes, in particular, seem super cool by themselves, but tougher to make work with the rest of your/our getups. I *think* it's simply "getting used to something different" - possibly. Again... dunno. LOL Regardless, those shoes are badass, so I'd say try navy, maybe the red as MaxMan advises (not everyone feels right pulling that move, though), and even a mid to darker brown pant might be just fine. Olive chinos? Something medium to dark-ish, in general.

*Dunno*.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Quoted
    141 Post(s)
    I think part of the thing tripping me up is that sand suede shoes generally lean more towards a casual look but the wingtips seem a lot more formal. So would you wear this with a button up shirt, polo, tee shirt? Would you wear these with dress pants, chinos, jeans?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Wear this with anything you'd wear with light suede bucks. They're basically the same shoe. You might think of wingtips as more formal, but wingtips and brogueing are both features of traditional casual shoes. The more ornamentation, the more casual they are. Not to mention the bright coral-colored soles...
    Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society. ~Twain

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Quoted
    76 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DXLi View Post
    You might think of wingtips as more formal, but wingtips and brogueing are both features of traditional casual shoes. The more ornamentation, the more casual they are.
    This!

One post/concept on the main Dappered site which always kinda threw me was the "Embrace the brown plain-toe" thing, and treating the Kenilworth as such a casual player in your shoe arsenal. Don't get me wrong, I love the look of the Kenilworth (and the like) - great looking shoe. But the most "casual" thing about that shoe to me is the fact that it is a blucher. As DXLi states, the more brogueing there is, generally the more casual the shoe. The plainer the shoe, the more formal. Thus something like the Park Ave. Even with the cap toe, for the formailty, you want plain - no (or little) ornamentation.

Of course other facets of a shoe cause it to lean more casual or more formal (leather vs rubber sole, leather *type* - suede vs calf vs cordovan, etc), but one of the biggest reasons a shoe is casual or formal, to me at least (and I always thought it was more or less common thought) is the amount and type of "decoration."

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Quoted
    76 Post(s)
    And regarding pants, I would think they would look the best with chinos or jeans (not so much dress pants, mainly because of the suede factor - and the soles). Shirts: button-ups (and button-downs even more so - OCBDs), and polos for sure. T-shirts? Maybe. Depending on the shirt.

Once they get a little dirty (you know it's gonna happen - LOL), I think you'll feel that they go with many more outfits. They're so damn clean and fresh right now!