Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Should I keep these Ebayed AE shoes?

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)

Should I keep these Ebayed AE shoes?

Took a chance on these despite poor pics in the ad. The uppers seem fine, some creasing as expected but no cracking, and only minor nicks and scrapes as would be expected. Soles are worn but what got my attention was some space between the pieces of the heel stacks on both sides. I've pulled them one way and another and the space opens a little but they seem attached pretty well still. Check out the pics and give me your thoughts and opinions. They were about $80 shipped and i'd probably lose another 8-10 sending them back. I've gotten other shoes off Ebay with no problem so i suppose at some point it's expected. I wear black dress shoes infrequently which is why i was going the used route. I could get 2nds for $220 or lightly used ones for ~$150.

http://imgur.com/a/VTvMO
    Last edited by jwest; May 8th, 2013 at 07:16 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Can't tell how bad the separation is, but it's normal to have a little bit of that with worn shoes. However, it's more common where the heel attaches to the sole, rather than in the various layers of the heel. You can try asking a local cobbler.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    How much did you pay for them?

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stension View Post
    How much did you pay for them?
    $75.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by atoms View Post
    Can't tell how bad the separation is, but it's normal to have a little bit of that with worn shoes. However, it's more common where the heel attaches to the sole, rather than in the various layers of the heel. You can try asking a local cobbler.
    there is some separation at the sole and between layers in a couple places, mostly when i pull the heel away form the sole. I did show them to a cobbler who said they are ok but will need resoling when they come apart and quoted me $65 for the pair.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    As long as they fit you well and are comfortable, then yeah keep them. Paying $80 for AE shoes is pretty good. Polish and clean them regularly and keep them in shoe trees when you aren't wearing them.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    Look good to me. Like runner-guy said as long as they fit and are comfy I don't see why not.

Banned
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    61 Post(s)
    I can't find it now, but the AE CEO mentioned that they had changed glue suppliers at one point, and there was a faulty batch that caused some separation at the heel in a few models. I don't have time to find it now, but I think it was on one of his posts at AAAC so search through these:
    http://www.askandyaboutclothes.com/f...archid=3404279
    You could always contact AE customer support. I wouldn't tell them you got them from eBay, but ask them about it. They may re-heel them for free.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jwest View Post
    there is some separation at the sole and between layers in a couple places, mostly when i pull the heel away form the sole. I did show them to a cobbler who said they are ok but will need resoling when they come apart and quoted me $65 for the pair.
    I personally wouldn't worry too much about it. If it's a problem for you, I can't imagine your cobbler would charge more than $10 to glue the leather/rubber layers back together (assuming that's all that's wrong with the shoes).

And Fred is right, AE did have a glue issue a few years back. I recall it happening around the same time that the Kenilworth first came out because I read about several people online reporting it happening with that model. But, to be honest, it would cost just as much to ship it back to the seller (or AE) as it would to just get it fixed locally.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    15 Post(s)
    Unless, of course, you live near an AE store. No shipping costs there.