Thread: Can shoulder paddeing be lessened / removed from a suit jacket?

Varsity Member Sigtweed Corduroy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    12 Post(s)

Can shoulder paddeing be lessened / removed from a suit jacket?

Anyone have any experience with this? I have a Brooks Brothers cotton poplin suit that I love but it has some issues that I'd like to attempt to rectify, slim the pants up, etc. Also, can pleat removal be done successfully? The suit is in great shape despite being 5 or so years old.
    "Waste no time arguing what a good man should be. Be one." Marcus Aurelius

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    good question. Im going to ask my tailor bc I have always wondered this as well. If it can, I bet it is an expensive procedure. For a BB jacket, it may be worth it. Especially if you plan on getting lots of mileage out of it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    8 Post(s)
    It can be done. Over $100 usually.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    The shoulders are the hardest part to tailor correctly. The structure of the jacket is based on the shoulder construction, so any changes to it can significantly affect the proportions of the jacket. Be careful and make sure your tailor has experience doing it.

As for pleats, where do the pants sit? Hips or waist? If it's a classic rise to the waist, then removing the pleats may cause a lot of bunching and restriction. Otherwise, it can be done to an extent, but the creases might remain visible.

Varsity Member Sigtweed Corduroy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    12 Post(s)
    Thank you all very much for the feedback gents. I am having serious second thoughts about these two procedures after reading this. That being said, it might at least be worth having a conversation with my tailor about. My old tailor and I recently broke up so I don't have a replacement yet though.
    "Waste no time arguing what a good man should be. Be one." Marcus Aurelius