Thread: New Gustin-like Denim company on Kickstarter

Varsity Member Sigtweed Corduroy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

New Gustin-like Denim company on Kickstarter

Jeans are $95. Terrible name...

Original and slim straight fits. Japanese selvedge denim. Looks pretty decent. Interesting part is they send you three pairs in a Warby Parker-esque move. Looks like a mix and match sizes, colors and cuts, but only if they reach the $50k goal down the road. Not sure how much sense this makes but it is interesting. They make a size 40 which is intriguing as I am larger and Gustin didnt' make anything bigger than a 38. About a month left to go and they are about $8k shy of their goal. I haven't backed this.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...eans-delivered
    "Waste no time arguing what a good man should be. Be one." Marcus Aurelius

Check out my men's style blog Sigtweed & Corduroy!
    www.sigtweedandcorduroy.com

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    24 Post(s)
    I am certainly not surprised that there are Gustin copy-cats, considering how successful that campaign was. I'm betting the jeans are made in the exact same factory, which I would assume is the same factory that makes Tellason, and other SOMA made jeans. So I would assume quality of construction is going to be pretty on-par. That said the devil is in the details. The most obvious detail difference would be the price point which is $14 higher than Gustin. Considering you can order Gustin today for $81, I'm not sure why one would want to back this project.

The thing about sending 3 sizes to try on sounds pretty good from a consumer standpoint, but I'm skeptical. A big part of the crowd-funding model is that you eliminate waste by only making the sizes that were ordered and by getting funding up front. If they have to make 3 pair for every pair that is ordered I see them potentially ending up with a lot of back stock, back stock that has been worn even.

So while it does seem like a pretty great model to me, and I will not be surprised that other companies adopt it and do well with it, I'm pretty skeptical about this particular attempt. Information about their experience and background on the kickstarter page is sketchy. They don't seem to really understand the business model they've adopted, and I think they are likely either to fail to make their commitments, or to wind up with a ton of extra stock they will have to unload some other way. I don't know, maybe they think they will unload the other two pair at retail, but in a already crowded market I have my doubts about how well that will work for them. If they intend to use them for back-stock, then go into selling regular catalog style, they'll be stuck back at the old model of speculating on sizes, warehousing them, and then selling off the excess at clearance. That's a tried and true model, but the downside for consumers is that unless we wait for it to go on clearance and then get lucky that our size is available, WE wind up paying for the cost of warehousing and excess stock.

*Disclaimer: I am a full fledged salivating Gustin fan boy, so my opinions of their competitors may be colored by my enthusiasm for their brand. OTOH, I like what they are doing so much if I see someone else who I think is doing it well, I'm likely to be a fan of them too.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    24 Post(s)
    Also while we are talking about Gustin copy-cats, there is also this one: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...-crafted-by-us

Their price-point is pretty good, as are their denims. The Japanese denim they are offering for $99 is the same one I ordered from Gustin for $81. Overall the jeans look good to me, but there are a few details that really turn me off. Especially that star on the rear pocket, and the rear pockets themselves which look a little low to me. Maybe it's just the model, but when the bottom of the rear pocket goes so low, it tends to make you look like you have a flat ass. If I found these on a clearance rack somewhere and tried them on, and if the ass looked OK on me, I might decide the foofy embroidery star didn't bother me that much and pick them up, but since Gustin already exists and make exactly what I want in a pair of jeans at a better price-point, I'll take a pass on this one too. Offering 4 fits is a nice touch. If it doesn't hamper their ability to meet commitments, it will certainly help them sell more jeans. (Just noticed their Limited Edition fabrics are available in one fit only, which will rule them out for anyone with calves)

This one's already reached it's funding goal though, and I expect RPM will as well, so they will both have a chance to prove themselves in time. Really it's what they do with their line AFTER the project is funded that will decide wether we have another denim brand to choose from in the future.
    Last edited by mattface; May 8th, 2013 at 09:25 AM.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    24 Post(s)
    AND yet another denim kickstarter: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...-for-your-life

This one is significantly different from all the others mentioned here in that these guys intend to sew their own jeans. That's definitely a more ambitious goal, but also somewhat more admirable. Instead of getting the funding upfront for a production run, they are looking for seed money to but the machinery to make it themselves. It may mean a riskier proposition if you decide to back them, but I think this really gets at the heart of what kickstarter can be about, and I definitely wish them well, and might even pledge a small amount, but not the $150 it would cost to get a pair of their jeans.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Denim is hot right now. With all these players it is going to be interesting to see how they separate themselves from each other. I love the business model but don't think the market will be able to support multiple companies selling sub $100 quality denim online. My money is on Gustin.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I bought the Heavy Japan model from Gustin and they're supposed to ship in June. I'm pretty anxious to see how those end of fitting and of course the quality. It's interesting to see a company take a different operational route though in an attempt to lower costs. It's a risky endeavor for the customer, but if they can pull it off I'm all for it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Interesting info Matt, thanks for sharing. Size restrictions have obviously kept me away thus far but if the environment is lending itself to the customer being able to access high-quality, american made jeans for under $100 that is pretty damn awesome.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    24 Post(s)
    Let them know what size you need. The more people that tell them they are looking for larger sizes, the more likely they will be to add them. I've found them incredibly responsive to questions and feedback. They always respond to emails. team@weargustin.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks for posting this thread Sigtweed. We are super excited about the support in the first 48 hrs. We have raised more than 90% of our minimum funding goal. Now it's about setting the sail towards our stretch goal of $50K and the home try-on program. A lot of the support has come from people like you sharing our story. We really appreciate it. Thanks again. Feel free to reach out to me anytime manuel@rpmwest.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rpmwest View Post
    Thanks for posting this thread Sigtweed. We are super excited about the support in the first 48 hrs. We have raised more than 90% of our minimum funding goal. Now it's about setting the sail towards our stretch goal of $50K and the home try-on program. A lot of the support has come from people like you sharing our story. We really appreciate it. Thanks again. Feel free to reach out to me anytime manuel@rpmwest.com
    My pleasure.

To be clear, I wasn't solicited in any way to make this post, in case anyone was wondering.