Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Holy Grail Affordable Items For Tall and Thin

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Holy Grail Affordable Items For Tall and Thin

For all of us tall folk out there (as in 6'2+), particularly those who are slim/fit, there are few options in the world of good buys OTR. The American selections are often too boxy and the European selections are too narrow in the shoulders/arms for those who work out now and then. I'd love to get a collection of input from those in a similar situation who have found good items that fit us well. For reference, I'm 6'4, 185 lbs, 32x34 waist, 40L.

Criteria- Affordable (relative to other items in category), good fit, and good quality. Let's try to get some "holy grail" items listed.

Polo:
    Ralph Lauren Custom-Fit (at 6'4, I generally get a tall size because the arm length can be a little short)
    Have heard amazing things about Kent Wang too

OCBD:
    Uniqlo Slim-fit (good
    JCP oxford- arms are trim, but too trim in the forearm. There was also a bit more fabric around the waist than I expected and the length was pretty sure. I think I'm one of the few who wasn't all that impressed with these.
    Also heard good things about H&M.

Dress Shirt:
    Help me out here.

Undershirt:
    RibbedTee- literally the perfect undershirt. The only knock is somewhat pricey, but the quality is amazing and fit/length are the best I've ever seen for tall/thin folk.

Jeans:
    Levi's 508

Chinos:
    Again, help me out.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    When I wake up, I'm game to help. Same measures

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    6'2" / 174 lbs / 42R / 32x34

Lands' End is a godsend with their tall sizes and selectable inseams. Banana Republic slim straight and slim fit pants are nice.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    6'4"/200/42L/33x34

I've spent years trying to find a good OTR fit for someone of our dimensions... and I've recently decided it really doesn't exist. You're going to pay extra to get something close to a good fit... but tailoring is the same whether they take 2in or 8in off the seams of a shirt.

For shirts (dress & casual) I've tried just about all of them. I have J. Crew (Slim and Reg), Banana Republic (Slim & Reg), Polo (Slim and Classic), Calvin Klein (Slim), Brooks Bros (Reg, Slim, Xtra Slim), Bonobos (Slim), Frank and Oak, Everlane, & misc department store/mens warehouse brands. Some fit better than others, but they really should ALL be tailored. I've slowly been working my way back thru my closet bringing them to a tailor. I would recommend finding a brand that you can get inexpensively whose fabric and patterns you like, and immediately taking every shirt your buy to the tailor. I've heard good things about Charles Tyrwhitt...that's my plan for the future. Find shirts for $30-$40 and with $20 dollars of tailoring your shirt is perfect for half of what I paid for some of my shirts... that I need to get tailored.

For pants it depends on what you can afford. I would love to wear nothing but Bonobos. That is, unfortunately, unrealistic. J. Crew is great, and J. Crew Factory works too. The factory lightweight stuff can be flimsy, but the heavier stuff has held up great for me. It can be tough finding 34 length pants sometimes, but if there is an actual brick and mortar outlet near you I'd recommended checking it out. I have mostly J. Crew Factory polos/henleys/casual buttondowns. For a bit more cash, J. Crew has the Slim/Tall options that work better for us.

Jeans I'm a Levis 514 guy, undershirts I have never really thought about (tanks from jockey... yes a bit short but whatever)

I'm going to pay attention to this thread, maybe I missed something in my seemingly endless search. Best of luck.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Quoted
    113 Post(s)
    6'2", 165-170lb, 38L, 31x34 Pants. Most of the meat I have is in my legs, so that makes for even more problems.

For the most part, I agree with Ryan88, especially for those of us tall guys that are also thin. However, there are some things that fit me better than others.

Tshirts: Everlane and Polo Refined Cotton (it's their custom fit Tshirt). Both fit very well through the body and are long enough to cover my stomach... hah.

Polos: JCrew Slim Tall. There's really nothing better for me since I prefer to tuck in my Polos. RL polos are too short in custom fit interlock.

Dress Shirts: Still working to find a good one. Topman and H&M fit great through the body, but the sleeves are too short on both. I have a CT shirt coming in soon and will report back.

Chinos/Pants: I've had good experience with the slimmer cuts from JCrew and JCF as long as I can find them in a 34. I tried on a pair of Bonobos at NR last month, and they fit really well, but were too short. I'd like to get a pair of two of them in the future.

Jeans: Levis 505. I'd like to try the LEC straight leg featured a couple of times on the Dappered main page next, but these won't die.

Shorts: JCF and Original Penguin.

I plan on getting all of my dress clothes altered. It's just a fact of life for people built like me until I have the cash to get everything custom.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    For affordable made-to-measure shirts online, I'm a Modern Tailor fan. If you haven't done custom shirts, be warned that it can take a few tries before you get that ideal fit.

Also, anyone out there who is above 6 feet... seriously go and buy some Ribbed Tee undershirts. They are definitely a holy grail item for us tall dudes.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    30 Post(s)
    Hey, 6'4 here and in search of simple black wool cardigan with a zipper. I used to get them at Banana Republic in their talls, but their style seems to have changed lately. They are more contemporary Euro style like GStar. That can be cool but I'm looking for something a little more basic. Anyone have a good tall sweater source?

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Quoted
    716 Post(s)
    It's like all the giants were lurkers for the longest time. I am used to the threads where everyone is 5'6" or there about. I am 6'1" so not in this category. Have found that if a brand only offers a 32" or 34" inseam and you need a little longer, there is always about an inch of fabric that a tailor can let out for you.

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Quoted
    267 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cjm View Post
    OCBD:
    Uniqlo Slim-fit
    What size dress shirt do you wear? I'd love to wear UNIQLO's shirts, but I thought everything runs short.

As for me

6'5", 173lb, 38L, 31-32x35.5 pants, 15.5/35-36 shirts.

As a beanpole, I too agree with Ryan88.

Tshirts: American Eagle. Their m-tall is great.

Dress Shirts: Nordstrom trim fit. It's a little baggier than some, but they're as good as I've found off the rack. I also like to buy tailored fit shirts from Jos A Bank for about $15 and then have them tailored for real.

Chinos/Pants: I find that Gap chinos work well for me. I've had less luck with Banana Republic because they tend to ride high in the crack, if you know what I mean.

Jeans: Levis 501. I also have a pair of de-bootified 517s that are pretty awesome, although I wish the rise weren't quite so low.

The biggest problem I have as a tall guy is low-rise pants. My dad (6'7", 190) recently told me to look for long-rise pants. I've tried some with an 11.5-12 inch rise, and it's amazing. Shirts stay tucked in, and it looks much less like my torso upper body is perched on stilts. But I can't find any pants that have a long rise and a trim leg, other than Epaulet, which are beyond my current budget. Any recommendations?

The other problem I have is finding a good sport coat. Most slim-tall sizes start at 40, but I almost always need a 38. Again, any recommendations?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    9 Post(s)
    Wanted to jump in here. I've lost about 40 lbs since March. This has meant I've had the opportunity to rebuild my wardrobe... well, it wasn't really an opportunity but rather a necessity.

I'm 6'3", 175 lbs, 42 inch chest.

Dress shirts:

* I really like Nordstrom's stuff. Their 1901 house brand is really nice, and both the Nordstrom brand and the 1901 have Trim Fit and Extra Trim Fit options.
    * Banana Republic - Not so much. I actually just returned two of their "Slim Fit" shirts. The material felt cheap to me, and the Trim Fit was a bit of a joke, I felt like I was wearing a tent.
    * Van Heusen from Macy's - Here's a dark horse. I have a few regular fits from Macy's (probably $22.50 new) that fit like trim fits. I have no idea how the heck that happened, but they are some of the best fitting shirts I have. I've even double-checked and they say, "Regular Fit".

Polo Shirts

* The Alfani slub polo (size medium) give a nice athletic fit.

T-Shirts

* Love the Mossimo athletic fit V-neck t-shirts they sell at Target.

Khakis

* Had some recent experience here, so I figured I'd share it.
    * Really like the Aiden Banana Republic slim fit khakis. Bought those on recommendation from other Dappered folks and was pleased.
    * Flip side - I simultaneously bought the Slim Fit Tailored Khakis from Gap, and they fit practically identically. Gap has a wider selection of colors, and I think I got these for $25 or $30 ... a good deal.
    * Finally, I know some have mentioned the Lands' End Elston. I bought two of these for $19.99 (!!) but promptly returned them. The crotch fit weird.. really loose and baggy. I looked in the mirror, broke out laughing, and threw them in the box for return.