Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone else with a bad Florsheim experience lately?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Anyone else with a bad Florsheim experience lately?

Ok, so I've posted this on here a couple of times, but I've been disappointed by Florsheim recently.

I was introduced to the brand by my great-grandfather. Their shoes were a great combination of style, QUALITY, durability and their customer service was top notch.

Now? Not so much. I've gotten five pair of Florsheim's in the past 18 or so months.
    -The first two pair, within a month, both were squeaking in the toe box and were not repairable. The leather was also suspect, but these were clearance shoes that I figured I got what I paid for.
    -I returned and replaced the first two pair with Kenmoor wingtips. These also were of suspect leather quality (hard, "painted on"), stiff as a board AND these ALSO started squeaking in the toe box in the first month of use.

At this point I was done with buying anymore Florsheim shoes, but I went back one more time. I needed a pair of black cap's and so I went with the top of the line, Royal Imperial Monroe cap toe. I wore them once. Again, stiff as a board (I understand there's going to be some breaking in period, but these would have taken me MONTHS to break in) and the same feel as the Kenmoor wingtips, and the leather again - suspect. So I decided to be done once and for all.

Now to the really interesting part. I posted my review on Florsheim's website. I have it verified and everything and guess what - they took my 2 star review DOWN. I got an email from their customer service: "Good Day and thank you for your recent review. I am sorry to hear that you are not satisfied with your Monroe Royal Imperial. If you would like to discuss your needs, please ring me at your convenience on our toll free Customer Care line. 866-454-0449 8:00 4:30 CST Monday Friday"

So anyways - curious if anyone else has been having similar experiences with Florsheim lately?
    My side "job" http://www.facebook.com/thepocketsquared
    Simple, elegant, pocket squares and ties

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    They are now considered an entry-level shoe with affordable pricing, but not-so-stellar quality. You get what you pay for I guess. Most if not all their shoes are not recraftable (important repairs like resoling are not possible) and have a very limited life-span. If you are wearing them once in a while, this shouldn't be a problem, but they are not meant to be your go-to shoes.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quoted
    56 Post(s)
    Hmm, perhaps not the most prudent post to make when you're trying to push your Monroes off on someone else....

In seriousness, my recent experience with Florsheim has been good. I bought the Florsheim Havilands a little while ago and they have quickly become my go-to shoe for business casual. Sizing was a bit weird (had to go down a full size from my usual) but other than that, no problems.
    BenR

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    I have the Gaffneys and the heels are doing their best to fall off. I've had one nailed/glued back on already. The stitching in the toes is starting to pull also.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    haha I thought the Monroes were SHARP. Two stars?

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Nothing to say about Florsheim, it's too bad companies remove bad review though. I know why they're doing it, but it really detracts from the purpose of reviews in the first place... I recently had a similar experience. Suppose forums exist in part for people to give unfiltered opinions (eg don't buy Florsheim).

That said people seem to have success with some of their shoes - the Veblen gets recommended around here often enough and I'm surprised at $250 the Imperial was as bad as you say, given that it actually appears to be built decently with a welt and leather sole.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    I only own one pair of Royal Imperials. A pair of vintage Long Wings. For being a bit older they seem to be holding up quite well. I can't really speak for the newer stuff.

I am curious to know why after two "bad" pairs you went back for a third.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I had a bad experience with Florsheim last August/September. Bought a pair of Imperials that were on clearance for $120. The color was cognac. The first pair fit great and I fell in love with them. However, one shoe wrinkled horribly within hours, so back they went. The second pair had a weird ridge on the toe box that pressed down on my toes and were uncomfortable. While they were uncomfortable, I thought maybe shoe trees may help a bit. I wasn't completely happy with them. Rather than return them right away, I ordered a third pair with the hope of getting a better pair then returning one of them. Wouldn't you figure the third pair had bad quality leather. So, pairs number 2 and 3 went back.

A couple weeks later My Habit had the same shoes for $69. I really liked the shoes, but had already returned 3 pairs that were ordered through Florsheim. I gambled and bought them again. It turned out the pair from My Habit were the best ones and I decided to keep them. However, when I applied Lexol leather conditioner to the shoes, the finish rubbed off. So yeah, it's like the color was painted on. I polished them the best I could, however, they're now a tan color rather than the original cognac. Now, I'm looking to get them dyed a darker brown.

Yet, it didn't stop there. My wife somehow got a hold of a Florsheim gift card that she got for cheap. So, I went back to Florsheim and ordered the Doon Chukka boots. Now, I really love these boots. Comfortable as hell and didn't have to return any. However, again, when applied Lexol leather conditioner the finish rubbed right off. They're lighter than the original color, but polished them and gave them an antiqued look and they really look good. I've gotten several compliments on them.

Did I stop there with Florsheim? Hell no. JCP recently had the Nowles driving mocs for $30 on clearance. I like them. They fit good. I have two pair. I don't plan on putting leather conditioner on them.

So what's the moral of this story? Florsheim has been hit or miss for me lately. But I learned one thing. If I like the original color of the shoes, don't put conditioner on them!!

Dappered Veteran
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    61 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bosco View Post
    So what's the moral of this story? ... If I like the original color of the shoes, don't put conditioner on them!!
    Um, I think I'm interpreting the moral of the story a little differently than you are.

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    25 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fred G. Unn View Post
    Um, I think I'm interpreting the moral of the story a little differently than you are.
    Mere words cannot not describe the moral of that story.